Help memory problem (I think?)

mipple

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
Hello,just want to say at the top, thanks to anyone who reads this. Now to my problem.

Recently I have been getting BSOD on my win7 machine. About 3 weeks ago I installed new memory after a memtest reported errors. I am now getting BSOD with the new memory as well. Here are my specs:

-Windows 7
-ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard
-AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX
-CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W Power Supply
-G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL
-XFX PVT98FYDBU GeForce 9800 GTX Black Edition 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

My old memory was also G.Skill (4gb). I did look at the voltages in my BIOS and everything was set to auto. I did notice that my memory is 9-9-9-24-2n and my bios didnt support 2n.

I'm doing another memtest now but I'm starting to think it isn't a memory problem since I replaced the memory... or my BIOS may be set incorrectly. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Please let me know if I left anything out.

Thanks,
Mike

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

While G.Skill DDR3 1600 memory is listed in the Asus Qualified Vendor List for that board, the exact model number sticks you are using isn't. Asus is known for being finicky with RAM, especially near the top end of the listed speeds. Try running the RAM as DDR3 1333 and see if the problem continues. In my Asus boards, I have always had luck with Kingston value ram (DDR3 1333). But I realize you want to use the fastest possible RAM, so you may have to try another brand.
Also, check if there is a newer BIOS available for that board. Sometimes updated BIOSs fix those kind of issues.