Sign in with
Your question

Weird RAM problem

Last response: in Memory
September 28, 2011 1:17:41 AM

Hi

I have just purchased a 2GB DDR 2 kingston ram at 800mhz to be used alongside my current ram of transcend 2Gb DDR2 800mhz but now with 2 rams together the system just wont boot or I dont get any display & only once the system booted but it was crawling.

Any help in solving the problem will be appreciated.

Thanks

SYSTEM CONFIG : Intel Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz, m/b intel DQ41 with 2 RAM slots

EDIT: Using single ram of kingston i found that its specs are

Type DDR2
Size 2048 MBytes
Channels # Single
DRAM Frequency 400.0 MHz
CAS# Latency (CL) 6 clocks
RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD) 6 clocks
RAS# Precharge (tRP) 6 clocks
Cycle Time (tRAS) 18 clocks

So now i am stuck with 2 rams one running at 800 & other at 400 ...... :fou: 

More about : weird ram problem

a b } Memory
September 28, 2011 1:50:16 AM

need more details on each memory module model and number for the kingston and transcend
m
l
a b } Memory
September 28, 2011 2:36:37 AM

It's never recommended to mix RAM as it's not guaranteed to work even when additing the exact same part number DIMMs, especially with faster DDR3 RAM. It's always best to buy ONE matched, tested RAM Kit of the full quantity you desire even with DDR2 RAM.

With all four DIMM slots filled many mobos revert to the slower default CPU/RAM speed as it takes more real time to access four DIMMs vs. two. I would suggest removing the old DIMMs and try booting with the new DIMMs. If they do not boot, then try one of the new DIMMs instead of two and exchange the two of them to see if both will boot individually. If they boot run Memtest86+ on each DIMM to check for errors. The DIMMs could be bad or incompatible with your PC or incompatible with the other DIMMs, (most likely).

If you can get your PC to boot you can also go into the BIOS and manually set the voltage and the timings to the slowest of the two sets of DIMMs. If the voltages are different then it's unlikely the two sets of RAM will function together as two DIMMs will always be out of spec.
m
l
Related resources
September 28, 2011 2:48:18 AM

The best way to deal with this is to manually set timings and speed in BIOS. You can do this by installing each stick separately, booting into windows, using CPUZ to get the ram timings. You will have to use the timings of the ram that has the highest number to get any stability. Now boot with one ram stick and go into BIOS, and set the timings manually. It would also pay to set them at a lower MHZ. I had to do this having 4 x gskill modules of slightly different model numbers, had to set timings manually and actually had to downclock them from 800 to 766mhz to get stability

i forgot to add, before you do all that, make sure dual channel mode is disabled, that will cause an issue with unmatched ram..
m
l
a b } Memory
September 28, 2011 4:02:58 AM

If your system is running at stock frequency, boot with one stick. Manually set the timings to the slowest RAM. Then set the memory clock to two times the FSB (533 MHz for a Q6600). Set the RAM voltage to 2.2 volts. Don't worry; it is safe.

Use CPU-Z to check that the FSB:RAM ratio is at 1:1.

Once the system is running, you can go into the BIOS and adjust the RAM voltage downward.
m
l
October 5, 2011 1:20:41 AM

jsc said:
If your system is running at stock frequency, boot with one stick. Manually set the timings to the slowest RAM. Then set the memory clock to two times the FSB (533 MHz for a Q6600). Set the RAM voltage to 2.2 volts. Don't worry; it is safe.

Use CPU-Z to check that the FSB:RAM ratio is at 1:1.

Once the system is running, you can go into the BIOS and adjust the RAM voltage downward.

Will i experience any performance difference ??
m
l
!