Minimal gaming setup

gostumpy

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
I am currently building myself a new computer from scratch (Waiting for money, of course) and in the meantime, I realize I'm not going to 'throw away' my current computer, it is still useable, but with onboard video it really is useless for any sort of gaming... Or video!

So I need to upgrade a couple components in this computer so I can have a viable second computer for friends or the wife to play on.

Specs are:

Biostar M7VIG Motherboard
AMD Sempron 2800+ 2.0ghz CPU
1GB (2x512mb) Ram

Need:

PSU
HDD (Non-SATA preferably)
Video Card (AGP only)
CD/DVD Burner

I'm looking at video cards at NCIX and Newegg, and am confused whether or not I need a $90 video card when the CPU will probably be the bottleneck? Would I be fine with a $50 256mb video card, or would the computer be able to use a full 1gb Video card?

400W PSU is minimum

I don't like using my SATA Adaptor card, so I'd prefer an IDE Harddrive.

My thoughts:

EVGA E-GEFORCE 6200 AGP 256MB DDR2 VGA DVI-I TV Out Video Card $47.30

Western Digital Caviar Blue 160GB ATA100 7200RPM 8MB 3.5IN Hard Drive OEM $54.40

Thermaltake TR2 430W Power Supply 20/24PIN ATX12V Dual 80MM Fans $35.99

LG GH22LP20 Black 22X IDE Lightscribe DVDRW OEM $25.99

Total: $163.68

Will this play games like WoW, Bioshock, Left 4 Dead, I assume at low-ish settings?

Thanks for any help!!

Solution
Stumpy, your old PC is just that, old. Most games today call for 1GB of ram just for the game at min spec and most ask for two. Yor specs barely meet most windows requirements unfortunately, and AGP cards will not handle the new DX standards that the games you have listed require. It may be time to take a grand or more to build you a good pc for gaming. Now if you want to surf the net and check email and play games on addicting games then your machine will work, but not for much more. I know this is not what you want to hear.

Here are some higher end choices that may pick you up a little to play some games, but not the higher end that you are looking at.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161308...

HTDuro

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
i sold my 7600GT KO 512mb AGP last week for 70$, and im canadian. im sure you can find something better than a 6600GT for this price, sur it was a good card .. 4 years ago .. it will be able to start game at least

Third Darkness

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
Stumpy, your old PC is just that, old. Most games today call for 1GB of ram just for the game at min spec and most ask for two. Yor specs barely meet most windows requirements unfortunately, and AGP cards will not handle the new DX standards that the games you have listed require. It may be time to take a grand or more to build you a good pc for gaming. Now if you want to surf the net and check email and play games on addicting games then your machine will work, but not for much more. I know this is not what you want to hear.

Here are some higher end choices that may pick you up a little to play some games, but not the higher end that you are looking at.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161308

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371034

This video card is a better performing card as well as the power supply is bronze certified. hope this helps.

You never mentioned what version of windows you plan to use as this would impact ram requirements.

Solution

gostumpy

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010

Thank you very much for the honest reply!

Stumpy, your old PC is just that, old. Most games today call for 1GB of ram just for the game at min spec and most ask for two. Yor specs barely meet most windows requirements unfortunately, and AGP cards will not handle the new DX standards
that the games you have listed require. It may be time to take a grand or more to build you a good pc for gaming. Now if you want to surf the net and check email and play games on addicting games then your machine will work, but not for much more. I know this is not what you want to hear.

Thanks for that as well, its what I need to hear, not what I want to hear :)

Reason I want to upgrade this machine is for one reason alone... I am building a gaming computer for ~$700 for myself, and I know if I start playing Left 4 Dead or Halo, my wife is going to get jealous and want to play at the same time... So I'm thinking ahead and planning to build a second CHEAP gaming computer for her to use as well!

christiangordo, will that computer run Halo, Bioshock, Left 4 Dead, and other new games?

Thanks again for the help guys! I'm hoping to keep it under $1000 for both computers.

Link to my main gaming computer: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/297536-31-dual-monitor-system

For the second system:

Parts not needed: Keyboard/Mouse, Monitor, Case
Parts needed: PSU, Mobo, CPU, GPU, HDD, DVDDRIVE, RAM

CPU/MOBO: BIOSTAR COMBO6P1250 AMD Sempron LE1250 AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6150 Micro ATX Motherboard/CPU Combo $70
GPU: GIGABYTE GV-R435OC-512I Radeon HD 4350 512MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support $20 After MIR
Memory: Mushkin Enhanced 2GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 $30 After MIR
PSU: CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 CMPSU-430CX 430W ATX12V Active PFC Power Supply $40 After MIR
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3160813AS 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s $39
DVD Burner: Liteon DVD Burner $20

Total: $219CDN

(Newegg.ca since I'm in Canada)

Would this play modern games at low settings?