SSD and RAID questions

ridd21

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2012
Hello, so I was talking with a friend of mine about getting a SSD I couldn't make up my mind on if I want the 256GB Samsung 840pro or the 128GB version and he said I should do a RAID with whichever I get. Now I've read some about it and RAID 0 from what I read gives me the SSD performance but at the higher risk of Drive failures. My question because of a lack of knowledge when it comes to RAID should I do that and RAID 0 it with my 1TB HDD or just use the SSD has a boot drive and install a few of the main games I play on it and use the HDD as storage for the rest? any thoughts or links on how to do it would be amazing! thanks a lot :) O and before I forget yes my MOBO supports RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, RAID 10.

Solution
Get the 256GB Samsung 840 Pro.

With two 128GB Samsung 840 Pros in RAID-0 you will get higher benchmark Read/Write speeds, but you won't notice too much difference in real-world performance.

There's no fault tolerance with drives in a RAID-0 array, so if any drives in the array dies then you lose all of your data.

When you create a RAID array you never want to mix HDDs and SSDs. The array should be all SSDs or all HDDs. An array's Read/Write performance is based upon the drive in the array with the slowest Read/Write speeds, so if you RAID a SSD and a HDD you're not using the SSD to it's best performance.

rshillshooter81

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
You would want to create a raid with drives of the same type,size (raid 0), there are other hybrid raid levels that allow you to mix different' sizes and brands ect, but in this case we are talking about only Raid 0.

The drive failure that you are speaking about is to do with the fact there are two drives involved, neither has any parity (backup), therefore if one drive fails, the whole array will be broken.

The performance you gain out of using 2 of these in raid 0 , in my opinion far outweighs the risk, however if you feel that the risk is to high, but you want the performance, look into raid 10.

Get the 256GB Samsung 840 Pro.

With two 128GB Samsung 840 Pros in RAID-0 you will get higher benchmark Read/Write speeds, but you won't notice too much difference in real-world performance.

There's no fault tolerance with drives in a RAID-0 array, so if any drives in the array dies then you lose all of your data.

When you create a RAID array you never want to mix HDDs and SSDs. The array should be all SSDs or all HDDs. An array's Read/Write performance is based upon the drive in the array with the slowest Read/Write speeds, so if you RAID a SSD and a HDD you're not using the SSD to it's best performance.

Solution

ridd21

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2012

I can't afford two 256GB or 128GB ones right now :( just one or the other dang school costs too much haha I might just get the 256 now and save up and get another later on and RAID 0 it then.