I need help to overwrite my hdd

G

Hello, i have 2 160gb hdd's both seagate 1 sata 1 ide they both say theyre corrupted when i try to install an OS they show up the bios and in disk manager but i cant access them in manager, when i click my computer they dont show up there either can i get them working again , i think i need to overwrite them from what ive researched but havent got a clue how, any help would be gratefull thanks

All hard drives fail eventually, and those two drives may have done just that. At only 160GB they must be fairly long in the tooth and will have been well used no doubt. They have already outlived many more modern drives which last barely more than a year. Personally I would not waste any time on them.

G

ok thanks for your advice i have only just got in to computers and dont know alot could you reccomend a reasonable size hdd for inernet use for dowloading films cds etc and should i get 2 1 for the os and 1 for the downloads or would it not make a difference and how long do hdd last when bought new

festerovic

Distinguished
HDDs can last a long time. Most all of mine have lasted over 5 years, I leave the computer and all the external drives on all the time, and in a climate controlled room. Pretty sure heat kills them alot faster, the drives that I put into a particular PC that was not ventilated well ended up killing a number of drives for me. Its usually easier to just have 1 HDD in your PC, but there are some reasons why you may want 2. As for size, I wouldn't get a drive smaller than 1 TB these days, they are like $50-60.

Latest posts