External SSD Drive

RMassoudi

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2011
Hello folks,

I've been drooling over the Samsung 840 Pro for quite some time, but it'll be a cold day in hell before I decide to reinstall the OS, drivers, and run the updates. I was wondering, is there anyway I can use this SSD as an external storage drive and transfer my files on it?

If I were to decide to install an OS on this drive afterwards, would it automatically format the drive? I can't seem to remember.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Solution
First, the 840 Pros are truly drool-worthy. I have 2 of them and I have been VERY pleased with their peerformance.

That being said, yes, you can use them as external storage devices. The 840 Pros also (depending on the bundle) ship with cloning software (like Ghost) to help you move your OS from your HDD to your SSD.

A clean install is the best way to go. I did that with one system. On the other, I actually used Clonezilla (just google it) to move a fresh HDD install to my SSD. The SSD controller handles all of the filesystem differences. Performance on the second system is just as awesome as the cleanly installed system.

Good luck!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
First, the 840 Pros are truly drool-worthy. I have 2 of them and I have been VERY pleased with their peerformance.

That being said, yes, you can use them as external storage devices. The 840 Pros also (depending on the bundle) ship with cloning software (like Ghost) to help you move your OS from your HDD to your SSD.

A clean install is the best way to go. I did that with one system. On the other, I actually used Clonezilla (just google it) to move a fresh HDD install to my SSD. The SSD controller handles all of the filesystem differences. Performance on the second system is just as awesome as the cleanly installed system.

Good luck!

Solution