Problem Booting up a Newly Built Comp -- Last Steps to Sweet Success!

curtains911

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010
Hey everyone, I did a quick search but I'm afraid I'm not enough of an expert to discern what's relevant to me and what's not.

I've recently put together a computer and I'm so close! I just need to figure this bit out.

Problem:
When I start the computer, I get pulled into a screen that says:
"Reboot and select a proper boot device or insert boot media..."

Details:
Boot Device Priority: 1. ATAPI CD-ROM -- 2. Removable Dev. -- 3. SATA:3M Samsung HD

In the Main BIOS:
Primary IDE Master : Not Detected
Primary IDE Slave : Not Detected
SATA1 : Samsung HD

I have a feeling there's a problem somewhere in there. If you can help I'd be very appreciative! Thanks in advance!

curtains911

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010
Yeah, that's what I thought, but I guess I'm a little unsure of how this all works.

I have the Windows 7 CD in my hand, as well as the motherboard CD as well. I'm trying to put my Windows 7 CD into the CD ROM, and then I'm selecting my CD ROM as the first item in the boot list.

But this isn't working. Am I misunderstanding how to go about installing my OS? Sorry for the low quality of my intelligence.

-- EDIT: Perhaps I haven't adequately connected my CD Drive to my motherboard? If someone could clue me in on what Primary IDE Master / Slave means, that would be amazing.

curtains911

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010
HOLY MOLEY I haven't even connected my CD Drive to my motherboard. LOL let me try this. I just found a cool video on this. I was always wondering what that weird connecting thing was.

Wait, quick question, do I need to connect my hard drive to the IDE 1 Slot on my motherboard as well? --EDIT: Oh I just realized my hard drive is SATA, so I guess I don't have to connect it to IDE1..?