Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Problem Booting up a Newly Built Comp -- Last Steps to Sweet Success!

Last response: in Systems
November 1, 2010 11:19:16 PM

Hey everyone, I did a quick search but I'm afraid I'm not enough of an expert to discern what's relevant to me and what's not.

I've recently put together a computer and I'm so close! I just need to figure this bit out.

Problem:
When I start the computer, I get pulled into a screen that says:
"Reboot and select a proper boot device or insert boot media..."

Details:
Boot Device Priority: 1. ATAPI CD-ROM -- 2. Removable Dev. -- 3. SATA:3M Samsung HD

In the Main BIOS:
Primary IDE Master : Not Detected
Primary IDE Slave : Not Detected
SATA1 : Samsung HD

I have a feeling there's a problem somewhere in there. If you can help I'd be very appreciative! Thanks in advance!
a c 103 B Homebuilt system
November 2, 2010 12:43:29 AM

If you have a OS (windows) installed on your SATA hard drive you should select that as your first boot device in BIOS. If you have yet to install OS then you need to put your windows CD into the CD drive to install it on the HDD.
m
l
November 2, 2010 12:56:25 AM

Yeah, that's what I thought, but I guess I'm a little unsure of how this all works.

I have the Windows 7 CD in my hand, as well as the motherboard CD as well. I'm trying to put my Windows 7 CD into the CD ROM, and then I'm selecting my CD ROM as the first item in the boot list.

But this isn't working. Am I misunderstanding how to go about installing my OS? Sorry for the low quality of my intelligence.

-- EDIT: Perhaps I haven't adequately connected my CD Drive to my motherboard? If someone could clue me in on what Primary IDE Master / Slave means, that would be amazing.
m
l
Related resources
November 2, 2010 1:02:52 AM

Is it a CD or a DVD?
m
l
November 2, 2010 1:06:19 AM

HOLY MOLEY I haven't even connected my CD Drive to my motherboard. LOL let me try this. I just found a cool video on this. I was always wondering what that weird connecting thing was.

Wait, quick question, do I need to connect my hard drive to the IDE 1 Slot on my motherboard as well? --EDIT: Oh I just realized my hard drive is SATA, so I guess I don't have to connect it to IDE1..?
m
l

Best solution

November 2, 2010 1:10:39 AM

If you run into any more problems then here is a good guide http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...
November 2, 2010 1:26:34 AM

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH it looks like it's working thanks a bunch rolli59! Give me a couple of a minutes before I close this as solved. Thanks dude.
m
l
November 2, 2010 1:28:41 AM

Best answer selected by Curtains911.
m
l
!