Are ssds bad to run in laptops?

azed3000

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2012
Hey guys, i ran into a problem with my intel 520 series ssd in my G74. Its come up with SMART errors whenever i boot up-. Windows also notifies me that there is some hard drive failure and i must backup all my data immediately. After these messages i removed the ssd from my laptop (after backing up all my data), and noticed it was very hot, as hot as a hdd. And to my knowledge ssds dont have moving parts so they should generate any heat. This made me wonder if its cause its running in a condensed space that it got so hot or if its just a shitty drive. I have a nother intel 520 in my desktop, which operates infront of 2 front coolers that came with the case.

So my question is do ssds fail due to condensed areas? or was my drive just crap?

Additional info: this has happened to me before by reformatting my ssd cured the problem for 2 months up until last night =/

azed3000

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2012
Yea thats what i thought, bad ssd, i returned it to my retailer and waiting for a new replacement.

As for the firmware driver, i already tried updating it but intel didnt release any updates for the 520 series, only the 330 and 320 =[ Hopefully my new drive will work without a problem. Never knew intel ssds werent reliable =='

TRENDING THREADS