Sign in with
Your question

Computers Will Not Stay Connected to Network?

Last response: in Networking
May 16, 2010 11:08:42 PM

Here's my setup:
DSL Modem
Buffalo Router WZR2-G300N

Computer 1 - desktop running Windows 7 Home Premium with wired ethernet connection to router
Computer 2 - desktop running Windows 7 Home Premium w/ Buffalo Wireless USB key
Computer 3 - laptop running Vista Business (SP2) w/ wireless adapter built in (Broadcom chip)

- All have netbios over TCP/IP enabled
- All wireless adapters (plus the PCI card on computer 1 desktop) have had power setting changed so they can not be turned off by Windows to conserve power.

You can turn all computers off and reboot in order. At that time ALL can see and access shared folders and printers on another computer. Works fine for a while.

After 20 to 30 minutes of non-use ALL computers lose ability to see or access folders or use printer (except computer 1 that is attached locally to a printer)

If by chance the network map does see another computer (after the 20/30 minutes), clicking on it gives a "not a valid host name" error.

I have the router using DHCP to assign IP addresses. I have other STB's that use an internet connection so I have to set it up that way, as I can't assign them IP addresses. Otherwise I'd give everything on the network a static address.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what would cause the computers to be able to see others and then minutes later not be able to? Any suggestions? Could it be some setting in the router?
Anonymous
May 17, 2010 8:22:14 AM

Could it be power saving ?
m
l
May 17, 2010 9:58:35 AM

Quote:

I assume you are talking about the adapters? If so, I did cover that already. From my original message - - All wireless adapters (plus the PCI card on computer 1 desktop) have had power setting changed so they can not be turned off by Windows to conserve power.

The computers are set to not sleep, the only thing will power down is the display.
m
l
May 17, 2010 1:05:13 PM

Quote:

That's what it sounds like is happening to me, but he stated that he has fixed that to where windows doesn't turn it off..

Quote:
- All wireless adapters (plus the PCI card on computer 1 desktop) have had power setting changed so they can not be turned off by Windows to conserve power.
m
l
Related resources
!