M4A88T-V EVO/USB3 won't get past windows loading screen, BSOD

new2computers

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
Hello,

Just bought these:
Asus M4A88T-V EVO USB3 Motherboard and AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Quad Core CPU Bundle

Patriot PSD34G13332H Signature PC10600 4GB DDR3 Memory Upgrade - 1333MHz, Non-ECC, Unbuffered, CL9, 1x4096MB

Coolmax M-500B ATX Power Supply - 500W, 120mm Fan

And I put those together with my old hard drive WD1600JS 160gb.

I don't know how to fix my problem.

monkeysweat

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
4GB modules don't typically work on ASUS stock bios,, they send alot of AM3 boards with a bios that can't boot properly on 4GB,, try sticking in a 2GB module and see how you do..

if windows boots, go and run the ASUS bios flash utility to the newest bios, you will be able to put in your 4GB module

PS I would recommend running your system in dual channel (2 ram slots in use) as it will open up your ram to run at full speed.

new2computers

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
I tried your idea with 2gb ram, it still restarts after the screen where it lets me decide if i should start windows normally or safe mode. My OS is vista by the way.

Would getting a new hard drive and formatting it solve this problem?

crypta

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2011

I just ordered this same mobo/cpu combo with 6 gb DDR3 1600mhz ram. 3 DIMMS, so when you say to only use 2 ram slots, will thi sslow down my ram if I have 3 slots in use? I almost got 8 gb 1333mhz ram 2 DIMMS. but seemed like a better deal to get the 6 gb 1600 ram. thoughts on this? should i have went with 2 4gb 1333mhz DIMMS rather than 3 2gb 1600mhz DIMMS?

thanks... ill have an update how this works out. should be here oct 5 or so.

monkeysweat

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
I'm not 100% on that situation, but i 'think' 4GB may be running in dual channel and the other 2 will be in single,, but I don't know for sure,, try running your WEI experience index with all 3 sticks then take 1 out and see if your score goes up,, will be quickest way to know for sure,, make sure when running 2 sticks that they are in the matched slots (same color) - if all 4 are same color, make sure same letter/number - i can't tell you if the slots will be side by side or if mixed with the other 2 slots for extra spacing when running 2 sticks

i would recommend getting another 2 gb stick --- the 6 gb 3 packs were meant for the 1366 i7 chips as they run triple channel so they look like a good deal, but are more expensive than 4gb packs and cheaper than the 8,, so not really ideal for all the other platforms that run dual channel

monkeysweat

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
if they let you and you have the time to wait and budget, I would possibly go with 2 4GB modules to leave room for future expansion -- but the restocking fee & return shipping may not really be good -- run with whatever setup gets you best numbers for now (i am sure it will be with just 2 sticks) and then when you can grab another 2 gb module, add in your other slots.

new2computers

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
I still haven't solved my issue yet, I'm going to try what you tell me to do and if it doesn't work I will tell you so.
I hope it isn't a hardware issue either because my I don't have much time to return it =(

yahuman111

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I ran into the same issue with my recently purchased Asus M4A88T-V EVO USB3 Motherboard and AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Quad Core CPU Bundle. My setup was:

Memory: Rendition by Crucial RM51264BA1339 Desktop Memory Module - 4GB, PC3-10600, DDR3-1333MHz, 240-pin DIMM, CL9, Unbuffered.
Sony Optiarc AD-7260S-0B 24x DVDRW Drive - 24x, SATA, Black, OEM
Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus Series 500W ATX12V V2.3 Active PFC Power Supply - (RS500-PCARD3-US)
Cooler Master Centurion 5 ATX Mid Tower Case Silver- (CAC-T05-UW)
WD caviar 80 GB IDE hard drive (from my old PC with Win XP SP3 installed on it).

The PC would boot up, would go to the screen where it lets me decide if i should start windows normally or safe mode. No matter what I clicked, it would reboot. (The mobo had the latest BIOS).

I tried MemOK! button, which helps incompatible RAM to be recognized, still wouldn't work.
I reinstalled XP (all data was backed up) on a suggestion from a friend who work with computers day and night, and it solved the issue. Upgraded the XP to Win 7 x64 and have had no issues since then.

Give it a try.
Y Hu

The motherboard is defective. Replace it with Intel or Gigabyte. Then the problems will be over.
You can do all the troubleshooting, testing, and loading software over and over, calling Asus support, but it won't fix it. Remember I told you this when you reach the same conclusion.
Put in this memory, put in that memory, it's a crock- won't fix anything.
Your power supply is a little undersized, but that's not the reason it shuts down. It's the chipset.
I would go with Antec earthwatts 650.
Using the Asus utility to update bios is a waste of time, and will most certainly wipe out any working bios. Don't even bother.

Stick in a GOOD board, it will boot and run, with no problems.

raja@asus

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011

Find the following settings in BIOS and set them as shown in this guide:

http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?3468-Crosshair-V-Formula-Easy-Memory-Setup-Guide

CPU/NB voltage may need to be higher on your CPU if the memory controller is weak.

-Raja

I love the way Asus feeds customers all kinds of run-around:
Adjust the voltage, reload the drivers, reload the OS, install memory in this slot, that slot, change this setting- that setting, try to update the bios with a utility that seems to fail 60% of the time...It's all a stall tactic. Turn off "cool and quiet" which is a default bios setting, that reduces the power so far that the board just stops working all together.
What Asus won't do is just TELL the customer that the board is BAD.
This has been going on for too many years, and the people who want to USE computers are sick and tired of it.
Just like so many others, I will never buy an Asus product again.
If you would just ADMIT that the products are defective, we would not carry around such resentment.

OP download Memtest86+ and test your ram kit one stick at a time.
Crap ram won't let you load an O/S.
Also you could have done much better on a psu.
I'll almost guarantee it will be an issue in the future.
It's a 500w max output not continous.
Don't plan on adding a decent gpu or overclocking your cpu.

raja@asus

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011

No, you misunderstand - the delta of CPU/NB voltage on these CPUs is rather large. Some CPUs need 1.30V to be stable where others are at 1.20V.

The transceivers that drive signals via the board traces (most active lines are the DQ pairs) are on the CPU and on the DRAM ICs - provided the trace impedance is matched to AMD specification, the timings and the bus voltage are the only things the board is responsible for. Substrate variance in processors means that no two CPUs will swing voltage to the same level at a given input voltage. So I am not sure why you take issue with my statement.

In any case, reducing the bus IO as shown in that guide usually brings about stability with most DRAM ICs.

Please define the rationality behind your statement as I have done with mine and maybe we can have a discussion. Until then, all overly irrational and emotionally driven posts will be ignored by me - thank you.

-Raja

No, you misunderstand.
I can plug another manufacturers board into this computer, and it will work on the first try. I won't need to "adjust" anything....

How come Asus boards can't do that?

Are you the same tech who took 60 days to return my phone call, the last time I called Asus?
(I think you are that tech)

When customers pay money for a product, they expect it to work, and there is nothing irrational about that expectation.

Instead of buying a board that requires "experiments" to make it function, I would rather buy a board, plug it in, and USE it. This is where the fundamental failure of Asus occurs, and much too often for my taste.

raja@asus

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011

I am giving the OP the settings to adjust. Cheap ICs cant handle the IO (Hynix) so need an adjustment which hurts performance. These safe settings have now been implemented as a fall back for mem ok.

I am NOT that tech as I have ever worked on the phone for ASUS, I do not work for the support department and never have. If you no longer have the board I cannot help you.

-Raja