mf2780

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2010
I have read the guide to building a PC but still have some questions I hope I can get some answers for. I will be able to build it without a problem but am unclear on a few things.

First: I will not be overclocking at first so did not purchase extra cooling at this time. When I buy my second 6870 I will be buying extra cooling and be overclocking. The stock fans that the case came with plus cpu fan is enough right?

Second: I plan on using a SSD drive for my OS plus main game, so should I set it to Raid 0? Will I have to go into the bios and list the SSD as boot source? Once I get the OS and the game installed is it possible to make sure nothing gets downloaded onto the SSD besides the Windows and Game updates? (I have always just had one HDD).

Third: I am unsure what drivers I need to install once I get to that step in the guide. I understand updating windows and the bios but not what drivers I need. I like to make sure what I download is actually required since there is alot of unneeded software out there. On the Asus website it has the downloads for my MB but there are 32 files to download. I know I need to download Chipset, Lan, Audio, USB drivers but am unsure what other files I should download on the MB site.
The MB is the P6X58D-E. Besides the MB and GPU drives are there any more drivers (besides any additional extra hardware I have).

Thanks for any answers.

Solution
1) If you are not overclocking, and have only one graphics card, the stock cooler and fans should suffice. But... the only way to install a cpu cooler properly is to have the motherboard outside of the case. It is much easier to do this up front. I suggest you budget about $40 for a tower type air cooler with a 120mm fan. Any will do. What case will you be using? If it has at least two 120mm intake fans OR 2 output fans then there should be adequate cooling, even for dual cards.
2) NO! do not use raid-0 for your SSD. If you do, you will get Intel raid drivers which do not pass on the trim command to the ssd. That, in time will hurt performance as the drive gets filled. Set sata to AHCI(not ide or raid) and you will...

eloric

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
First: No, and why would you wait?
Second: No, the "R" in Raid stands for redundant, so you need at least 2. You need to manage what is loaded on your primary drive.
Third: Download the recommended files from ASUS. Bloatware comes from the computers they pre-build.

1) If you are not overclocking, and have only one graphics card, the stock cooler and fans should suffice. But... the only way to install a cpu cooler properly is to have the motherboard outside of the case. It is much easier to do this up front. I suggest you budget about $40 for a tower type air cooler with a 120mm fan. Any will do. What case will you be using? If it has at least two 120mm intake fans OR 2 output fans then there should be adequate cooling, even for dual cards.
2) NO! do not use raid-0 for your SSD. If you do, you will get Intel raid drivers which do not pass on the trim command to the ssd. That, in time will hurt performance as the drive gets filled. Set sata to AHCI(not ide or raid) and you will get the proper Windows-7 drivers. The ssd will show up as another hard drive. Just make it the primary boot device. If anything wants to be loaded on the boot drive, it probably should be there. Let everything go there until the drive starts to get full. Then move stuff off to make room. Windows-7 and Microsoft security essentials will take about 14gb.
3) DO NOT try to update the motherboard bios unless you have a problem that the bios update fixes. A failed update can brick your mobo. Windows 7 will have workable drivers for anything modern. You may not have to install anything else. You should install the motherboard drivers that came with your motherboard. They may not be the latest, but they should work. Later on, windows update will pick up any needed updates. You should install the latest graphics driver.
4) Download and read the motherboard and case manuals, cover to cover. Many questions will be answered.

Solution

mf2780

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2010
Ok so I guess I should pick up a good cooling system now. The case I picked is this -- HTPC CASE NMEDIAPC|HTPC 6000B BK RT --.

With that case I assume the CM Hyper 212 will be able to fit the case so I will pick one up and have it rushed delivered. The case itself has one 120mm and two 80mm fans. Should I replace those also and any recommendations on another 120mm fan to put in the empty fan slot that is near the HDD bay?

I have another $50(more if required) I can spend on cooling so if there is a better option for the case I picked out let me know. I wont risk a heavy overclock so ill only set the I7 950 to just 4Ghz.

Thanks for all the help. It makes me not as nervous when I begin building on Thursday. I have taken apart and repaired bad hardware just never did a complete rebuild.

A HTPC case will have less than normal height available for a cpu cooler. In this situation, you might wait until you can verify how much room you have for a cooler. I suspect that a cooler like the hyper 212 will be too tall to fit.

That case may be a problem with dual high powered graphics cards. To get decent cooling, you may be forced to use some high rpm cooling fans which will be very noisy.

Is there a reason for this particular case?

mf2780

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2010
The case choice was because I wanted the case to blend into my av setup and it was recommended. Noisy fans would drive me nuts (I have very senisity hearing and normally when I play games its in dead silence) and if needed ill add a more expensive cooling system or a better case. The case i did pick was because I gave up finding one I really liked so just went with a recommended one. If the case is damaged on arrival is there one you recommend geofelt?

I fear you will have to make some sort of compromise.
Size, cooling, price, appearance.
For good cooling of dual high end graphics cards, I suggest a case with, at minimum, two 120mm fans as intake.
If size is an issue, consider a micro-ATX based system. The motherboards are a bit cheaper, and you can still get two X16 pci-e slots. Lian li has a couple; how about the V354B?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112300
A quieter version with less(but OK) cooling would be the V351B:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112222

On a small case, you need to check the max size of graphics cards that it can hold, as well as the psu.

mf2780

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2010
Everything has already been baught and shipped. Once I get the case if i find there is no way I can modify it ill just get a regular big case then. I can find some use for case if it wont fit my needs i guess. Thanks for your help geofelt.

mf2780

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2010
Ok the case will not work at all. I need a new case and hope to order one tonight. I have decided against a HTCP case so now am trying to find a case that will be silent and get plenty of cooling. Here is what I have to put in it.

Asus ASUS P6X58D-E LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
I7 950
Gig GPU 6780
XFX 750 PSU
Spinpoint F3 1TB
Vertex 2 60GB SSD
3(2Gb) ram
and a dvd drive

What I need to find is a case and cooling. Was thinking of the CM hyper 212 and just need to find a case and have it expressed shiped. Any suggustions? This time limit is up to 120 for case and cooling. (shipping not included in 120)

One of the best cases is the Antec 300 illusion model. It is relatively quiet because it has good cooling and the fans do not need to spin so fast. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129066
It can handle any cooler including the hyper212.

While waiting for delivery, go ahead and test your parts . Just put them on top of the anti-static wrap that your motherboard came in. It is easier to debug that way. Install in your case when it comes.

mf2780

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2010
Thanks. I went to the local Best Buy and they have a Antec 902 and from what I have read it is a decent case. Plus if I dont like it I can return locally. So going to run back to BB and pick it up.