Sign in with
Your question

Can i put a disc from an external hard drive into my computer

Last response: in Storage
February 12, 2013 4:45:37 AM

my seagate external hard drive fell to the floor while i was using, it no longer works. is there some way that i can still recover the data off of it???? i bought the black widow external hard drive reader thing and it still does not appear on my computer, can i take the disc out and then put it into my laptop dvd player and get the data that way???? i am desperate for some help. thanks to anyone who can help me.
a b G Storage
February 12, 2013 4:49:54 AM

it could just be the enclosure that is broken. you can take the hard disk out and install it onto the internal sata.

let me clarify something. it will not be a disk. you will not be putting it into a dvd drive. do not open the hard drive, open the enclosure the hard drive is in.
m
l
February 12, 2013 4:55:45 AM

neon neophyte said:
it could just be the enclosure that is broken. you can take the hard disk out and install it onto the internal sata.

let me clarify something. it will not be a disk. you will not be putting it into a dvd drive. do not open the hard drive, open the enclosure the hard drive is in.

i am not that technologically inclined. LOL and you just confused me even more than i already was. i have taken the main cover off and am down(i would assume to the basic hard drive) i can see what appears to look like a mother board on one side and then a silver metal piece on the other. when i put it into the black widow external hard drive reader it did nothing. i am wanting to know what else i could do to get my data off the disc, so are you saying that i can not take that silver piece off and get to the disk inside, remove it and then put it into my lap top to read????
m
l
a b G Storage
February 12, 2013 5:10:50 AM

that is indeed what i am saying. theyre sensitive to oxygen and you would have no way to read the internal platters anyway.

there are services for recovering data that way, but they are very... very... expensive.
m
l
Related resources
!