Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Physx Config

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Configuration
  • Physx
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
September 13, 2010 4:18:37 AM

Hi guys, I have a GTX 460 1GB, a 9800gtx+, and a i7-860 @ 2.8 with 4GB of RAM.

I recently purchased Mafia 2 and I was wondering what the best Physx configuration would be. I play at 1680x1050 at max settings and I'm getting 60fps on average. This is with auto-select for physx in the nvidia control panel. Would it be better to dedicate it to the 9800gtx+? Or the CPU? Do I leave it at Auto-select or is the 9800gtx+ enough to handle the physx?

Thanks, Aloha!

More about : physx config

a b U Graphics card
September 13, 2010 4:27:56 AM

Dedicate the Physx to the 9800GTX+.
m
0
l
September 13, 2010 10:08:02 AM

skolpo said:
Dedicate the Physx to the 9800GTX+.


Hey, you know what... I did that and it worked like all day and my computer just crashed. I'm guessing its because I also have two monitors hooked up to the 9800gtx+. I guess the physx got so intensive it couldn't support the other two monitors at the same time and locked up my system.

Any thoughts? I think I may disable the other two monitors when I'm gaming with physx.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
September 13, 2010 10:13:22 AM

That or you have a faulty GPU that was finaly overused just that little bit(or by alot) and has hence finally shown its full colors.

Run a furmark test to check if your cards faulty.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
September 13, 2010 10:19:18 AM

Personal Opinion - 1 Crash doesnt mean anything is faulty at all, just try the game again with the same setup, if it crashes again, then maybe something is wrong.

My judgement is not to jump on the "faulty" wagon so soon, as it may be a one off crash linked to nothing. Technology isn't flawless ya know :) 
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
September 13, 2010 10:20:23 AM

How many displays are you running? I'd avoid using the dedicated card as a display card just for stability's sake.
m
0
l
September 13, 2010 5:54:21 PM

I have the EXACT same configuration. I have the 9800gtx+ 1gb and it's dedicated to Physx. I only have the Mafia 2 demo but my experience was pretty scary with it, and that is why I think your problem lies with Mafia 2. On the demo I was getting 30 - 35 fps avg with a "D" score and I wonder if the benchmark tool in the retail game is somehow better optimized..

Anyhow, I went to take a break for less than 10 minutes while the benchmark was running and when I came back, and the benchmark was done but was sitting at the screen where it shows how you did, I noticed both my cards where fully stressed and both running @ 99c. I freaked out and uninstalled that demo. My cards seem fine but I wish that had not happened.

I also loaded up Batman after that and I got 60fps no problem and the physx was working great.

Not sure if that helps you, but that's my experience.
m
0
l
a c 679 U Graphics card
September 13, 2010 6:00:33 PM

I'm not sure, but I think the idea of a "dedicated" physx card means that it is only doing physx and not also running a monitor. Maybe you should disable the monitors attached to the 9800GTX+. Then, I would tell the Nvidia control panel to use the 9800GTX+ for physx, rather than "Auto select".
m
0
l
September 14, 2010 4:10:44 AM

Thanks for the replies folks!

reccy said:
Personal Opinion - 1 Crash doesnt mean anything is faulty at all, just try the game again with the same setup, if it crashes again, then maybe something is wrong.

My judgement is not to jump on the "faulty" wagon so soon, as it may be a one off crash linked to nothing. Technology isn't flawless ya know :) 


I don't think its faulty.. The game isnt frying the card, it stays under 65C and thats overclocked.

skolpo said:
How many displays are you running? I'd avoid using the dedicated card as a display card just for stability's sake.


I completely agree. I am running three displays. Gaming monitor hooked up to the GTX 460 1GB, and two displays hooked up to the 9800gtx+.

nativeson8803 said:
I have the EXACT same configuration. I have the 9800gtx+ 1gb and it's dedicated to Physx. I only have the Mafia 2 demo but my experience was pretty scary with it, and that is why I think your problem lies with Mafia 2. On the demo I was getting 30 - 35 fps avg with a "D" score and I wonder if the benchmark tool in the retail game is somehow better optimized..

Anyhow, I went to take a break for less than 10 minutes while the benchmark was running and when I came back, and the benchmark was done but was sitting at the screen where it shows how you did, I noticed both my cards where fully stressed and both running @ 99c. I freaked out and uninstalled that demo. My cards seem fine but I wish that had not happened.

I also loaded up Batman after that and I got 60fps no problem and the physx was working great.

Not sure if that helps you, but that's my experience.


That's very interesting and good to know. In most of the game I am getting around 50-60fps but on rare occasion it drops down to 30fps if not only for a brief moment between scenes. I am using fraps. I also have NOT run the Mafia 2 Benchmark. I didn't even know there was one until now. I will try that now.

17seconds said:
I'm not sure, but I think the idea of a "dedicated" physx card means that it is only doing physx and not also running a monitor. Maybe you should disable the monitors attached to the 9800GTX+. Then, I would tell the Nvidia control panel to use the 9800GTX+ for physx, rather than "Auto select".


I think you're completely right. As of last night I've been disabling my two other monitors before I go into Mafia 2 and I change the physx so its dedicated to the 9800gtx+ once I've done that. No crashes or anything. Works like a charm!


-------

I'm just wondering if anyone knows for sure about the dedicated card deal. If you dedicate the card, you can't be running two displays off of it at the same time. When I say it like that it makes absolute sense, but does anyone have a really high understanding of these features to be able to say for sure?

I do believe that it IS what caused the crash because when it happen I looked at MSI afterburner (running on one of the monitors, lol) and the 9800gtx+ usage was topping out but I didnt get to see the temperatures. I also know that when you have physx enabled that it is highly integrated into the game because you have to restart the game to turn physx ON or OFF.

If the 9800GTX+ was too stressed or too hot because of the work load, I have almost no doubt that it would have caused the crash. What makes me more sure is that the two spare monitors also turned a dark blue color while the main gaming monitor just froze with the game image.

Perhaps it is no fault of the cards at all. It could just be time to format the computer and I got something similiar to a BSOD.
m
0
l
September 14, 2010 5:47:26 AM

HAHAHAHA! I forgot I was playing around one time and I super UNDER-clocked my 9800GTX+. (as low as it would go with afterburner. Would that have anything to do with it? HAHA
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
September 14, 2010 8:35:57 AM

I wouldn't believe that SUPER-underclocking your GPU would cause this.
m
0
l
!