Samsung firmware update

hi all, i just have a question about how to properly update my ssd's firmware. my 120gb samsung 840 series ssd is saying a new firmware is availible but when i download the file it brings up two files that don't seem to do anything! is there an easy way to do the update, or should i be cutting/pasting into the magician software!? anything helps thanks all!
6 answers Last reply
More about samsung firmware update
  1. Never update the firmware unless you are having issues with the drive.
  2. SR-71 Blackbird said:
    Never update the firmware unless you are having issues with the drive.

really? why? i'm not questioning you but i wonder what the harm is? i just assumed there may be a performance boost or stability or something
  3. There's always a chance you could brick the drive.So only do it if it's really needed.I own 2 Samsung 840 pros and never had an issue so i've never updated.
  4. SR-71 Blackbird said:
    There's always a chance you could brick the drive.So only do it if it's really needed.I own 2 Samsung 840 pros and never had an issue so i've never updated.

ok, and as you know samsung does warn of this so makes sense. thanks for the tip!
  5. Your welcome.
  6. I have both 470 Series and 830 Series ssd's. Their performance has been flawless so I don't have any valid reason to do a firmware update.

However, I did do one firmware update out of curiosity. There is more than one way to do a firmware update. I used the bootable USB Flash drive method. It worked for me. The only problem was Samsung's web site. All of the information about how to do a firmware update is not located on the same page or in the user's manual. I had to do some digging to find the information.

Yesterday morning Samsung released SSD Magician Version 4.0. It is definitely worth downloading and installing. It has a nicer look to it, provides more information, and has some new user friendly features.
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD Firmware Samsung Storage