Samsung firmware update

misfitkid86

Distinguished
May 23, 2012
hi all, i just have a question about how to properly update my ssd's firmware. my 120gb samsung 840 series ssd is saying a new firmware is availible but when i download the file it brings up two files that don't seem to do anything! is there an easy way to do the update, or should i be cutting/pasting into the magician software!? anything helps thanks all!

misfitkid86

Distinguished
May 23, 2012

really? why? i'm not questioning you but i wonder what the harm is? i just assumed there may be a performance boost or stability or something

misfitkid86

Distinguished
May 23, 2012

ok, and as you know samsung does warn of this so makes sense. thanks for the tip!

I have both 470 Series and 830 Series ssd's. Their performance has been flawless so I don't have any valid reason to do a firmware update.

However, I did do one firmware update out of curiosity. There is more than one way to do a firmware update. I used the bootable USB Flash drive method. It worked for me. The only problem was Samsung's web site. All of the information about how to do a firmware update is not located on the same page or in the user's manual. I had to do some digging to find the information.

Yesterday morning Samsung released SSD Magician Version 4.0. It is definitely worth downloading and installing. It has a nicer look to it, provides more information, and has some new user friendly features.