Solved

Upgrading...Need Advice for Mobo!

The bolded items are things I am looking to upgrade, if it would be in my best interest. I'm not looking to spend over $400-500, but If a simply mobo+RAM upgrade would do a lot for me, that'd be great.

My current motherboard has this issue.

DDR2 1066*/800/667

* Due to AMD CPU limitation, DDR2 1066 is supported by AM2+/AM3 CPU for one DIMM per channel only.

1 x ASUS M4A78 Plus AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard

1 x XFX HD-577X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

1 x Antec Basiq BP500U 500W Continuous Power ATX12V Version 2.01 Active PFC Power Supply
1 x AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ955FBGIBOX

1 x G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK

1 x SAMSUNG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black EIDE/ATAPI Model SH-S222A - OEM

1 x Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

1 x Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Quite simply, how much performance increase would I see by doing the following

Upgrading the Mobo

Adding a 2nd Duplicate (or Better GFX card, whatever is more cost-effective) GFX card, and using CrossFire with two 5770's.
Or would I better off replacing or crossfiring the 5770 with a 6870 (If I am going to spend $150 on a gfx card, might as well get one of the latest ones)

and optimizing my 4 slots of RAM (Maybe 8GB total RAM.)
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about upgrading need advice mobo
  1. Going from DDR2 to DDR3 doesn't make all that much of a difference really. I did it in my system before, and noticed absolutely no change in performance. Went from a Gigabyte MA770-UD3 to a newer Gigabyte board, and 1066mhz RAM to 1600mhz stuff. Also, 8gb of RAM won't help you much if youre just gaming. I'd sell the 5770 and get a 6870. also, toss in a nice CPU cooler and overclock your 955 a little bit!
  2. What kinda CPU cooler would you recommend?

And would a 6870 out perform two 5770's?

I'm not even certain I can fit two 5770's now that I think about it, the card itself is huge, and there's no space between the two slots.

I'll probably just sell the 5770 and get a 6870.
  3. A 6870 should just outperform two 5770s anyway, plus you should be ok with our current power supply that way. As for CPU coolers, I'd get a Coolermaster Hyper 212+, or a Scythe Mugen. There are plenty of other good ones out there as well, like the Zalman CNPS (Quiet, Flex, Extreme), those Corsair liquid cooling ones, and a few others that will perform quite well, but those first two are really good for the price.
  4. Alright, I'll look into the Coolermaster Hyper 212+

Now, I would have to detact my old CPU Cooler and get more thermal w/e to apply the new one, correct?

Just making sure I know wtf I'm doing. Lol.
  5. Motherboard Issue

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131381&cm_re=ASUS_M4A78-_-13-131-381-_-Product

It seems my motherboard does not have a PCI 2.1 Slot, will the PCIE 2.1 x16 fit into any of the slots below? If so, I'm pissed and I'm going to buy a new MOBO

(Which one? I have no clue how to decide what motherboard to upgrade to...what compability variables do I need to take into account?

"PCI Express 2.0 x16 2 x PCI Express 2.0 x16
    (1x PCIe x16, 1x PCIe x4 or x1)
    PCI Express x1 1
    PCI Slots 3 "

Should I upgrade my motherboard for a PCI Express 2.1 x16 slot?

As the title says, should I do this? It would also allow me to expand my RAM in the future (When I have more money to throw at my computer than I do now)

Computer Case Issue

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129042
    That's my case, I'll measure the distances for the new card + old heatsink to see if I have the space to upgrade.

I am looking to possibly upgrade my case to a full tower (Because my 5770 is pretty much cutting the power supply cords)

Would this case have any issues with my current build?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811103010
  6. Best answer
    PCI-E 2.1 cards will work perfectly fine in a PCI-E 2.0 slot. Don't worry about that at all. I wouldn't upgrade your motherboard until you were building a whole new PC. The RAM sounds on paper like it would make a big difference, but it will not.

As for your case, yes that one should work. Full towers are quite large, even a good sized mid tower is fine. I'm personally more of a fan of the Antec and Coolermaster cases, but yes that one you picked will work.
  7. Alright, I will add the following items to my cart on newegg and probably go through with purchasing them within the month. (or tell my family to buy them for me for christmas, either one)

But yeah, thanks for your help.

How sure are you that the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065 will work with my current set up?

And with that, the new gfx card, and the new case, I should be set to run anything. ^^

Oh, on another topic, I have no clue how to overclcok my computer. v.v
  8. Best answer selected by nmeseth.
  9. the haf 922 will serve you better then the case you picked, and is only 10 dollars more
  10. But it doesnt have pretty LED 250mm fans! :(
  11. 100% sure that it will work with your system. I use Hyper 212s all the time.

I agree with the HAF 922 case as well, I like those quite a bit more than that one with the turbine kinda fan.

As for overclocking, you'll have to check a few other forums for details on that, but basically, go into your BIOS (del. key on startup), and adjust the CPU clock / multiplier. You'll see system temperatures in there under PC Health Status or something like that. It's best to read up on overclocking before you do too much of it though...
  12. the case you guys are suggesting is a mid tower case, which I suppose would work, but I'm so sick of this one (It's mid tower but its cramped inside of it)

Looking for a really good full tower case, here is one by the same brand, would this be alright?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119225

I might as well get a case that will last me...a long ass time.

Any problems with that one, such as USB 3.0 not working cuz of my obo, or similar issues?

If I'm spending $250 on a gfx card, would I better off getting a GTX 470 or something?
  13. The 922 is a mid tower that will fit the biggest video cards that you can find, plus a pile of hard drives and everything else. The HAF 932 is bigger yet, and the HAF X is huge. If you need a big case, go for it - but 5970s will fit in the 922 just fine. USB3.0 won't function as USB3.0, but the port should work as USB2 I believe if you plug it into your MB.

The 470 is hands-down faster than the 6870, and I prefer nVidia. You can also grab an overclocked GTX 460 (faster than stock 470, more efficient, cooler) like the EVGA FTW GTX 460, or the MSI Hawk Talon Attack (gay name) GTX 460. Those will be cheaper as well. I just bought that MSI one for like $210 to try out...
  14. jasonw223 said:
    The 922 is a mid tower that will fit the biggest video cards that you can find, plus a pile of hard drives and everything else. The HAF 932 is bigger yet, and the HAF X is huge. If you need a big case, go for it - but 5970s will fit in the 922 just fine. USB3.0 won't function as USB3.0, but the port should work as USB2 I believe if you plug it into your MB.

The 470 is hands-down faster than the 6870, and I prefer nVidia. You can also grab an overclocked GTX 460 (faster than stock 470, more efficient, cooler) like the EVGA FTW GTX 460, or the MSI Hawk Talon Attack (gay name) GTX 460. Those will be cheaper as well. I just bought that MSI one for like $210 to try out...

Hit me up on yahoo if you can, nme.seth@yahoo.com is mine.

If you don't want too, that's cool, I just want to know this first of all.

I would be very willing to get a GTX 460, but I've heard the heating + cooling can be a major issue.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems Product