Sign in with
Your question

XFX 5970

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 13, 2010 5:41:13 AM

need some help guys.
I just finished setting up my new rig. My rig is running fine except for some issues with my 5970. Occasionally when I'm not using highly intensive 3D applications like surfing the web, my pc crashes. I get an error saying 'Display Drivers have failed' or something to that effect. When i'm playing games or using 3D applications, however, it runs perfectly fine. Im using Catalyst 10.8 on Windows 7 x64
Has anyone had this problem before and can anyone possibly help me find a solution? Is this a hardware problem or a driver related one? Should I consider replacing the card with another 5970?

My Specs:
CPU: Intel i7 920 D0 (stock setting)
MOBO: Gigabyte ga-x58a-ud7 (rev.1 / f7 bios)
GPU: XFX 5970 (stock setting)
RAM: Kingston HyperX KHX2000C9D3T1K3 (6 x 2gb = 12gb) 2000Mhz C9
PSU: Corsair 1000hx
HDD 1: WD 150gb Velociraptor
HDD 2: Samsung 1TB Spinpoint F3

LIQUIDCOOLING:
PUMP: Laing DDC 3.25 18w + XSPC ResTop
CPU BLOCK: Swiftech Apogee XT
VGA BLOCK: DangerDen DD-5970
RAD: Swiftech MCR 320 QP-Res on Push/Pull (6 fans total @ 1300rpm)
TUBING: PrimoFlex Pro LRT UV Blue Tubing - 3/8in. ID x 5/8in. OD
NOTE: i'm cooling my cpu + chipset + graphics card

More about : xfx 5970

a b U Graphics card
September 13, 2010 5:47:38 AM

Try to run Catalyst 10.4.
a b U Graphics card
September 13, 2010 8:48:18 AM

High frequency RAM, liquid cooling, more then required wattage on the PSU but still no overclocking.!! That's a surprise.. Anyway, catalyst 10.8 seems to be receiving many complaints of late.. Try rolling back to any previous version which worked perfectly stable for you.. That way you (and many other via this thread) will get to know if it is the catalyst driver only which is causing the problem..
Related resources
a c 106 U Graphics card
September 13, 2010 7:10:29 PM

I'm going to say try a different driver version first. Monitor your temps to be sure that the VGA block was placed on properly and you may want to stress test it as well.
September 13, 2010 8:43:14 PM

Emperus said:
High frequency RAM, liquid cooling, more then required wattage on the PSU but still no overclocking.!! That's a surprise.. Anyway, catalyst 10.8 seems to be receiving many complaints of late.. Try rolling back to any previous version which worked perfectly stable for you.. That way you (and many other via this thread) will get to know if it is the catalyst driver only which is causing the problem..

Reason why it's still stock is because I just finished assembling it and I want to make sure everything's working fine before I start overclocking it.
September 13, 2010 8:48:07 PM

megamanx00 said:
I'm going to say try a different driver version first. Monitor your temps to be sure that the VGA block was placed on properly and you may want to stress test it as well.

Yes I'm going to try different driver versions and do more stress tests. Regarding temps, i'm confident the block was placed properly since the temps are quite nice and i've tested gaming in SC2, COD MW 2 at max settings for hours and works 100% fine. It's just at idle and less demanding 3D applications that it occasionally freezes on me.
!