Processor: AMD Athlon™ II 630 Quad-Core Processor
• 2.80GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 4000MHz System Bus
Memory:Memory 6GB PC3-10600 DDR3 SDRAM memory
Graphics card: XFX 5770 XXX edition
Operating system : Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Internal drive: 1 Terabyte Serial ATA hard drive
Screen: 20 inch 1600x900 resolution
Power supply: 500W Atx
All the drivers are up to date. I uninstalled and installed multiple times.
I bought a xfx 650W psu + a NZXT Tempest Evo EATX Mid Tower Case and will pick it up next week.
what i need help is im thinking about upgrading my cpu and motherboard. Im upgrading my motherboard because i cant over clock my cpu because it was store bought. (HP) I was wondering what motherboard and cpu was good for my computer? thinking 300$max. I am going to crossfire my 5770s when i get the motherboard. And my other question was that if i install a new motherboard i heard that i will need to reinstall windows 7. is that true? thanks in advance!

omnisome

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2010

No real need to overclock, although what are you using your computer for?
Also, what motherboard are you using?

a-p-p-l-e-s

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011

a-p-p-l-e-s

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011

but if i upgrade my motherboard will i need to reinstall windows? because i heard that from somewhere..

Are you getting a new copy of Windows 7?

I know some makers limit the version of windows so that it will only install on PC's with their branded motherboard. I.E. you can't use the Dell version of Windows to install on an HP machine.

Also, by changing your motherboard, you DO need to re-install windows so the correct drivers will be picked up by the install.

a-p-p-l-e-s

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011

so if i buy a new motherboard i just need to get any copy of windows 7 and use the serial code that is on my computer case? or will i have to get an hp copy? sorry but i got kind of confused

When you activated the copy of Windows that came on your PC originally, M$ recorded the hardware config and the key code you used to register.

If you try to activate again with that key code, and a different hardware configuration, the activation will fail. :cry:
You might be able to talk M$ into giving you a new code, but since the original one was tied to an HP machine, and you now have a completely different Motherboard, I wouldn't think you will be successful in that. :pfff:

a-p-p-l-e-s

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011

what are the chances Microsoft will give me a new code? ) :

a-p-p-l-e-s

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011
man hp has the worst customer service ever... they are real mean and said i will never get the windows 7 from them... and that i should not upgrade the computer because they made it so that the computer is really good for games etc... im like dude this is a 800$ comp from hp with a integrated graphics card...

a-p-p-l-e-s

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011
after talking to 3 different hp supervisors ( supervisor of the supervisor of the supervisor... ) for 4 hrs and i was going no where i just hung up on the guy because he was ignoring me... i call Microsoft and tell them my problem and BOOm before i even ask he says get a pen and paper because here is your new windows 7 cd key! ( i love Microsoft and i hate hp now..)

a-p-p-l-e-s

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011

i need a motherboard that can crossfire + in the future i plan on buying the bulldozer cpu from amd and want it to be able to handle that ) :

I am constantly installling/reinstalling Windows (XP,Vista and 7).
If you do get a fail with the COA (Certificate of Authenticity) key it
is because you are using a different PID ie retail disk with oem key
Microsoft offers a Product Key Update tool free to download.
Just use that to change to COA key.
Also you can do the automated phone system and IF you answer
properly (google how to do it) they will give you the validate code (I have only
done that on XP)
It is possible to use a OEM from one company ie Dell on another machine.
It just has less drivers and wont pick up the key code off of mobo.
Just FYI