Status
Not open for further replies.

reccy

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2007
Hi Guys,

Just bought my 2nd GTX 470, very impressed with the level of performance increase this in sli provides. Given the GTX 470 isnt that bad of a card solo by all accounts.

Just a little bit concerned about the temperature of the first card, it now seems to be hitting the 87°c mark. a quick google search actually provides no information, one suggests it limits at 80, then another says 100, conflicting situations.

I have got to down to 80°c now by putting a small fan directly ontop of the GPU and a fan at the back of the GPU's sucking the hot air out quicker. It has gone to 80°c once, but averages around the 77 mark. (also have a fan on the side of the case blowing cold air onto the GPU/inside the case)

I dont want to swap GPU coolers or anything of the sort as this voids warranties, and im not that good at modifing.

I played Assassin's Creed II for like 5/6 hours without a stutter, hitch, glip anything which would suggest no over heating issues or anything.

Just wanting some peace of mind :)

Guys For the help, much appreciated! :)

Solution
Even though those temperature are on the higher side, they are quite normal for the GTX 470.I've never come across a GTX 470 which died due to heat problems.You can add some side fans if you case allows you to do so.

decode

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
Also, If your overclocking them I suggest you use MSI Afterburner, and then customize your fan settings so that if it starts to become too hot(95 or so) it bumps the fan up to 80 or 100 percent to combat the heat.

First time I actually ever used a GPU overclocker the otherday, MSI afterburner was simple to use and overclock my card(9800GT LPE, bumped it up to original 9800GT stock speeds)

reccy

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2007
Hey, just still slightly concerned regarding this, been playing Assassins Creed II for around 2/3 hours and the temps seem fine, 81°c MAX, averaging around the 77-79°c Mark. Been researching abit more, as to fine what the MAX running temperature is for these cards, and it seems to colate around the 105°c.

Now, just had a quick go on Metro 2033, with EVERYTHING turned on, DX11 etc, and the GPU shot upto 87/88°c after only 10mins of gameplay. The reason i noticed this as i died (the reason why i dont play it anymore!! lol) and mistakenly pressed the start menu button. To me this is getting on the border of very hot and towards the limits. I know above 95°c start to panic, but panic is kicking in already.

I have a picture below of the air flow in my system with 7 fans (just as an experiment)

Fan 1 - Sucking in not a huge amount if im honest, its the fan the case came with (Coolmaster Fan)
Fan 2 - Is sucking in cool ambient air onto the GPU's/Case and is pretty good (ordered a few more)
Fan 3 - Is the standard exshaust fan, came with case (keeps my CPU very cool, OC'd @ 4011ghz - 65°c under 100% load)
Fan 4 - Is an Exshaust fan, have ordered a replacement (same as fan 2) as it makes more noise then action... bloody awful thing
Fan 5 - I have mounted a 40mm fan at the back of the case, sucking the hot air out of the GPU's quicker (may help?)
Fan 6 - Is a 40mm fan directly placed ontop of the GPU blowing cold air onto the chipset directly (again, seems to help)
Fan 7 - Is the PSU Fan (Coolermaster GX750W)

Airflowincase.jpg

Ive done alot more then what alot of people when SLi'ing would do i presume, and have a pretty good air flow running through the system.. Any suggestions? Maybe there is a manufactered GPU cooler which sits ontop? Or something? Wanting to play it safe with the temps rather be on the limits all the time..

Cheers again for the help guys, much appreciated! :)

Tamz_msc

Distinguished
Even though those temperature are on the higher side, they are quite normal for the GTX 470.I've never come across a GTX 470 which died due to heat problems.You can add some side fans if you case allows you to do so.

Solution

reccy

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2007
Thats the thing, ive got about as much fans as i can possible fit inside the case. As in 1 on the side blowing cool air onto the GPU.
Have 1 40mm or 60mm (cant remember size) actually onto of the GPU blowing cool air on the back of the chipset.

The 2nd GTX470 is temp's are normal.. MAx 70 odd.. I know SLi makes the first card hotter, just concerned at long game play may overheat the card..

Kkkk1

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
What's the point of buying quite a high end card and shutting of 2033 after 10 mins? At the end of the day your GPU will throttle itself back if it gets too hot so if you notice stuttering then close it off. GTX470/480 are renowned for running very hot which is part of the reason I chose a 5970. Just enjoy your purchase and let the technology protect your investment.

reccy

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2007

Obviously didnt read my answer properly did you, i played Metro for around 10 mins, as i mistakenly pressed the start button as i died and thats when i noticed the temperatures at the high.

It runs at around 80-90oC now, MAX ive seen it go to was a 91oC, but never has goen this high again, usually within 80-90 mark, which to me is very very hot, and it sounds like i have a mini airport in my case lol..

Cheers Guys for all the usuful comments, still panic sometimes, but thats all part of the fun and experiance hahaha.

Status
Not open for further replies.