Installing windows 7 on an SSD

heremy8

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
I'm going to install windows 7 64bit onto my samsung 840 pro 128gb ssd I got today and also am putting in new pc parts: i7 3770k, lite on blu ray drive, corsair vengeance 8gb, and an MSI Z77A-GD65 Z77 mobo. Just in case you needed to know :p.

Anyways my question is an ssd just like an hdd? Or are there special things I need to do to make sure the ssd runs the best it can? Thanks so much for your time and help!

1.) Connect your SSD to one of the Intel 6Gb/s ports (SATA1 or SATA2), not one of the ASMedia 6Gb/s ports (SATA7 or SATA8).
2.) Set your SATA ports to AHCI mode before Windows install.
3.) Don't connect any other drives until after you've installed Windows on your SSD.
4.) Run WEI after installation is complete; Windows will then automatically disable defrag on your SSD.

I just wanted to mention that yesterday morning Samsung released SSD Magician Version 4.0. It is definitely worth downloading and installing. It is a major upgrade that looks nicer and has some new features that are very user friendly. It will also check your settings and make appropriate changes.