Transfering Files from Kodak Easyshare Camera

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 12, 2005 12:45:55 AM

To All:

I am helping a friend transfer files from a Kodak Easyshare DX6340 to a
laptop running WinXP SP1. On my PC, after using both the Canon and
Nikon file transfer software, I decided that it was much easier to just
use Windows Explorer for camera-to-computer file transfers.

Someone else installed the Easyshare software on my friends laptop so it
defaults to using the Easyshare software when plugging in the camera and
powering it up. The Easyshare software seems VERY slow and COMPLICATED
compared to using Windows Explorer. When attempting to use Windows
Explorer I am getting error about maxing out the memory (with 512 MB
installed).

So the questions are:

1) How do I disable the Easyshare software so that I can use Windows
Explorer to transfer the files?

2) Where are the "album files" (not the JPG files) that were previously
created stored on the laptop?

Thank you,

Steve
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 2:35:46 PM

Greetings Hap,

I will pass along your thoughts, as Kodak appreciates them.

Just a note to let you know that when you install EasyShare Software, you
are given the choice of installing the Kodak Updater or not! You are also
given the choice of using EasyShare as the default for common image related
file types.

The program is not designed for those that are novice users, but as a
program that will catalog and manage your images. It is an excellent
program for this and it offers a lot of other features. Most of the
programs that are out there that cost you upwards of $50 or more do much the
same thing as the free Kodak EasyShare Software.

Also, please know that the Kodak Updater that uses Backweb, quite safe. It
is sometimes detected as SpyWare, or similar programs, by a virus detection
program detecting an auto updater program. These programs scan the computer
for latest installed components. Backweb is actually used by several auto
notification programs including Microsoft, Symantec, and others. Please
reference the following Web site to learn more about the Kodak Updater
technology.

http://www.backweb.com/services/technical

If you do not want it, you can eliminate it by selecting
Start/Programs/Kodak/Kodak EasyShare/Kodak Updater and select the disable
offering.

The Kodak Updater can also be uninstalled from the system by:

1. Opening the Control Panel.
2. Double left click Add/Remove Programs.
3. Find and uninstall the KODAK Software Updater.
4. Restart the computer.

Note: The program often does not appear in Add/Remove Programs, and may only
be uninstallable by re-running setup for the program that installed it. You
will see a selection of Modify, Repair, or Remove. Just follow the prompts
to remove that feature.

Essentially, the Kodak Updater looks for updates and when it finds one, it
downloads it to your system when you are not actively engaged in some
activity (the part noted by spyware detection). No different than the
updating of virus updates or OS updates. Same thing.

Talk to you soon.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

> wrote:
>
> >Hap Shaughnessy wrote:
> >> Steve H:
> >>
> >> I must assume it's the same for WinXP as it is for Win98se.
> >>
> >> Yes. Kodak EasyShare software can be a PITA. Besides image transfers
> >> from a Kodak digital camera it will launch itself for any kind of CD
> >> whether it be a game, music, etc. looking for a Kodak Picture CD.
> >>
> >> Here's how I disabled it.
> >>
> >> 1) Go to Start button ... Run ... type msconfig.exe ... startup tab
> >> ... uncheck Kodak Easyshare software.
> >>
> >> "C:\Program Files\Kodak\Kodak EasyShare software\bin\EasyShare.exe" -h
> >> is the culprit that loads the software into the taskbar tray. Note: In
> >> the MsConfig system tool that path will show in DOS 8.3 format.
> >>
> >> After reboot on my Win98se box a "Disabled Startup Items" folder is
> >> created. From there I can run the EasyShare software at will only when
> >> I want to transfer photos from my camera.
> >>
> >> 2) C:\Program files\Kodak\Kodak EasyShare software\Catalog.
> >>
> >> By deleting the 4 files found the catalogs can be cleaned out and
> >> rebuilt by hand. That's what I'm goping to do from now on after
> >> checking into your question. After burning a CD it's another PITA
> >> removing old catalog entries one by one from within the Easyshare
> >> interface. No select all / remove all albums. Grrr.
> >>
> >> The 4 files are:
> >>
> >> 2 catalogs ... EasyShare.me & EasyShare.mm
> >>
> >> 2 backup files ... ESBK.mb & ESBK.mbb
> >>
> >> Copy all to a temp folder or rename files [ ie: ESBK.mbb_ ] to see if
> >> it works okay for you before cleaning it out.
> >>
> >> The only reason Kodak Easyshare lives over here is because it is
> >> handier leaving the SD memory card in the camera rather than using my
> >> SanDisk SD card reader and I can get at my DX7440's 32 Mbs of internal
> >> memory.

Anonymous
January 12, 2005 3:26:58 PM

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 11:35:46 -0500, "Ron Baird" <ronbaird@kodak.com>
wrote:

>Greetings Hap,
>
>I will pass along your thoughts, as Kodak appreciates them.
>
>Just a note to let you know that when you install EasyShare Software, you
>are given the choice of installing the Kodak Updater or not! You are also
>given the choice of using EasyShare as the default for common image related
>file types.

---cut---

Thanks Ron for a very informative reply that will answer quite a few
Easyshare and Backweb questions I have read in here lately.

>3. Find and uninstall the KODAK Software Updater.

Too simple. Love it. My ignorance. Please accept my apology suggesting
that Backweb is hard to get rid of.

& passing along the self-timer resetting itself for every shot
annoyance is greatly appreciated. It's a very small detail that will
make my Kodak camera use easier if I can set it to stay on or off.

Your the man.

Hap
January 12, 2005 6:29:50 PM

"Steve H" <aymes.srh@netcast.com> wrote in message

SNIP

> Yes, from my limited experience, Easyshare is RPITA!

Then why not just uninstall Easyshare and use a card reader. That's what I
have done. You don't need the Kodak software for anything!

Gerrit - Oz
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 6:29:51 PM

Gerrit 't Hart wrote:
> "Steve H" <aymes.srh@netcast.com> wrote in message
>
> SNIP
>

>>Yes, from my limited experience, Easyshare is RPITA!
>

> Then why not just uninstall Easyshare and use a card reader. That's what I
> have done. You don't need the Kodak software for anything!
>
> Gerrit - Oz

Quite true, and the cameras with docks will still work to recharge the
camera, even if not connected to the USB interface....

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 15:29:50 +0800, "Gerrit 't Hart" <gthart@sad.au>
wrote:

>"Steve H" <aymes.srh@netcast.com> wrote in message
>
>SNIP
>
>> Yes, from my limited experience, Easyshare is RPITA!
>
>Then why not just uninstall Easyshare and use a card reader. That's what I
>have done. You don't need the Kodak software for anything!
>
>Gerrit - Oz

So far I find that leaving a SD card in the camera is more convenient
than using my SanDisk reader. I'm running a Win98se box with limited
USB connects that includes a 4-port hub [full]. It will soon be time
to system upgrade and I may change my mind. However, with easy to
access USB ports on the front of many of todays computer cases I may
use the camera's USB port or the Sandisk card reader depending on my
needs.

Easyshare can access a Kodak camera's internal memory without a lot of
fancy dancing as some have suggested. ie: Transfer pics in camera from
the internal memory to an empty memory card. The extra 32 Mbs of
internal memory on my DX7440 has come in handy on a few occasions.

Yes, another 256 Mbs of memory would solve that. But I'm still trying
to figure out if another Kingston Elite Pro Hi-Speed SD card makes
sense for this 4MP camera or if a regular card would work just as
fast. See: Re: Flash memory speed??? Tue, 11 Jan 2005 19:21:51 -0500,
Hap Shaughnessy. Any further information than already given would be
greatly appreciated.

Easyshare's Print at Home feature does a better job setting up 2 -
5"x7" photos per 8½"x11" page than I can do in Corel. Very simple and
fast. Easyshare self-orients photos to landscape or portrait. Cute.

Note: 5"x7" images need to be cropped using a 7:5 ratio and added to
an album to ensure that the tops of photos aren't cut off. No
Easyshare crop from the top / middle / bottom setting. I have sent in
that suggestion.

However, the 3:2 ratio for 4x6's photos may be okay. Unknown. Never
liked that size photo. Never will. However, they are cheaper to send
out for processing than printing at home.

Therefore the Easyshare print feature alone is worth the small amount
of hard drive space for the install. I'm very pleased with all 5x7's
and 8x10's printed on Kodak Premium glossy paper on this old HP 932c
using HP ink only. I recently found Kodak Ultima paper in a 2 for the
price of 1 sale and I know it become my paper of choice.

Once I get around to buying a DVD player to view fave photos on my TV
I'll be all set.

Hap
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 1:29:15 AM

SNIP
> For anyone with more than novice computer experience, I would recommend
> NOT installing Easyshare, except for the camera connection software for
> those using computers with Windows Me and earlier.

My card reader came with driver software to use with OS earlier than XP so
even for Me and earlier you don't need Easyshare.

Gerrit
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 1:29:16 AM

Gerrit 't Hart wrote:
> "Ron Hunter" <rphunter@charter.net> wrote in message
>
> SNIP
>
>>For anyone with more than novice computer experience, I would recommend
>>NOT installing Easyshare, except for the camera connection software for
>>those using computers with Windows Me and earlier.
>>

> My card reader came with driver software to use with OS earlier than XP so
> even for Me and earlier you don't need Easyshare.
>
> Gerrit

True, only needed if you want to connect the camera to the computer.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
!