Sign in with
Your question

Which processor is better?

Last response: in CPUs
January 27, 2011 8:52:33 PM

Hi people, I have two pc's one with an "AMD Phenom(tm) 8400 triple-core 2.10" and another with an "Intel(R) Core(TM)2 cpu 6600 2.40" My question is which processor is better I cant tell :(  im wondering which one to use as my main PC. Thanks in advance guys! and great site.

Jody

More about : processor

January 27, 2011 8:56:38 PM

try to render a video file and see which one does a faster job in seconds....
January 27, 2011 8:59:09 PM

Firstly thank you for your sugestion! The problem with this is both pc's have different memory and graphics cards in (for example the phenom pc has 4 gigs opposed to the intel's 2 as well as other hard ware differences) so I dont wish to dismantle the PC's till i am sure which one i want to place the better hardware into. Thank you though.

Jody
Related resources
a c 866 à CPUs
January 27, 2011 8:59:44 PM

The core2duo is going to be faster except when you are using the third core on the phenom. Here is the closest comparison I could do not exact but they are really close http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/64?vs=26
January 27, 2011 9:04:01 PM

Awesome thank you this helps a lot! I was actualy searching for just this type of tool. Another question for you off the back of this information. I tend to use 3d studio max and photoshop... but i also play games a lot. I assume there are not a lot of applications that will use the third core, or am I wrong in this assumption?

Jody
January 27, 2011 9:13:14 PM

Ok here some more to add to the discussion... bear with me its a little complex :) 

The core 2 duo computer is capable of sli and i have two gts450's but the phenom has only one slot for a card... do you think its worth just using the core 2 duo then as ill be able to sli the cards... ?

Again thanks !

Jody
a c 866 à CPUs
January 27, 2011 9:13:15 PM

I belief 3d studio and photoshop can use 3 but there is not many games that do. I just put in a CPU that is closer to your actual Core2duo and it confirmed the speed difference in favor of the core http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/61?vs=26
a c 866 à CPUs
January 27, 2011 9:15:33 PM

gokzor said:
Ok here some more to add to the discussion... bear with me its a little complex :) 

The core 2 duo computer is capable of sli and i have two gts450's but the phenom has only one slot for a card... do you think its worth just using the core 2 duo then as ill be able to sli the cards... ?

Again thanks !

Jody

I personally would choose the core2 system not only is it faster at stock clocks (most uses) it has a better overclocking headroom as well for some free performance!
a c 866 à CPUs
January 27, 2011 9:17:07 PM

If it is the Q6600 it is way faster than the X3!
January 27, 2011 9:23:19 PM

I did look at http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/64?vs=26 and for some reason I do not think this is accurate what they show there.... just for test I compare an old cpu 2.0 with new quad core 2.93 top of the line cpu and they show me that lots of times old cpu is faster))) funny.......
When you test cpu another memory and components does not metter at all .
January 27, 2011 9:24:19 PM

nope 2 cores 6600, ok thanks guys I think iv been sold on going with the core 2 duo even though its older as the argument seems in its favour and going from some specs on running the GTS450 in SLI seems like it will be a significant boost in performance alone. so unless anyone has any other points to make ill go make a coffee then start dissmantelling :)  Thanks again folks!

Jody
January 27, 2011 10:16:59 PM

Actually i think you can unlock the 4th core of the Phenom. AM unsure but if its a BE the you also have the unlocked multilayer.

Its 50/50 so i would still recommend the C2
January 29, 2011 3:40:50 PM

Ok I went with the core 2 and man i must say its been awesome! any game i run at full res and highest settings runs like a dream on the sli 450's... thanks guys! great help I know where ill be coming for hardware advice in the future.

Jody
a c 83 à CPUs
January 29, 2011 5:31:34 PM

The Phenom would have been better for 3ds max, I'm not sure the max number of cores it can use, but it exceeds any desktop set up. Otherwise for the majority of tasks that E6600 was a good choice as it is faster per core.
!