Sign in with
Your question

This AMD or Intel, NVIDIA or ATI, Gamer PC, whats your opinion?

Last response: in Systems
November 2, 2010 12:03:26 PM

Hello,

I'm after a higher spec gamer pc, ideally that will play Flight Simulators flawlessly.
I've narrowed it down to:

OPTION 1
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T
NVIDIA GTX460 1GB Video
4GB DDR3 1333MHz Memory
640GB SATA-III 7200RPM HDD
Asus 870A USB3 SATA3 MB
Apevia X-Cruiser 2 Case
24X Double DVD±R/±RW
HIGH DEFINITION 7.1 AUDIO
£685 (£583 ex. VAT)

OR...

OPTION 2
Intel i5 760 Quad Core
NVIDIA GTX460 768MB Video
4GB DDR3 1333MHz Memory
1TB SATA-II Hard Drive
Asus P7P55D-E USB3 SATA3 MB
Thermaltake Element-T Case
24X Double DVD±R/±RW
£665 (£566 ex. VAT)

OR just to throw another in the mix:

OPTION 3
AMD Athlon II X4 640
ATI HD 5770 1GB Graphic Card
4GB DDR3 1333MHz Memory
1TB SATA-II Hard Drive
Gigabyte 770T D3L MB
Apevia X-Dreamer 3 Case
24X Double DVD±R/±RW
£499 (£425 ex. VAT)

I'm swaying towards the Intel i5 with NVIDIA, or do you think the cheaper AMD & ATI combo will do the job just fine?! Opinions & recommendations welcome.

Cheers,
Sean
a b À AMD
a b Î Nvidia
November 2, 2010 12:14:38 PM

All 3 of those options will play FSX (assuming you are using MS's product) quite well. That being the case, I would recommend option 3. You will save some money and still have great performance.

What sort of monitor and resolution are you planning to attach to your new flight sim beast?
November 2, 2010 12:18:31 PM

Hey, thanks for the rapid response :) 

Yeah I'm primarily looking to use for FSX but want to safeguard it for the next few years of gaming.

I will be using on a 22" Samsung monitor.

Reading this comparison the Intel i5 performs better generally across the board: http://www.techspot.com/review/269-amd-phenom2-x6-1090T...

However I read the i5 doesnt support hyper-threading? is this relevant to gaming?
Btw I don't want to do overclocking as well.

These custom systems I'm thinking of buying are from: https://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/

Anymore advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Sean
a b À AMD
a b Î Nvidia
November 2, 2010 12:44:39 PM

Trying to "future proof" your system can be fruitless (or at least not very satisfying). AMD platforms usually are more "upgrade-able" in terms of being able to add newer, more capable CPUs as they are available than Intel offerings. Both AMD and Intel will be moving to newer CPU socket offerings, thus if you wait for the next great thing, you never buy anything.....

Hyper-threading will have minimal impact to FSX (and gaming in general) as most games really can't take advantage of the multi-core CPUs any way. There are studies that show that many games have a 3-core "sweet spot" when it comes to taking advantage to multi-core systems.

The i5 does indeed out-perform the AMD offerings in many benchmarks, but in the bang for your buck comparison, AMD nearly always wins.

All 3 of your options will give you a good system for 2-3 years. Look at your budget and buy the "most" computer you can justify within that budget. Have fun!
!