Is WD1003FBYX only for RAID's?

prstark

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013
I'm reading a lot of reviews where folks seem to be putting the WD1003FBYX into RAID's. The specs and reviewers are calling it "RAID-specific".

I know nothing about RAIDS. However, it is also listed as an "Enterprise-ready", SATA storage drive, with 1.2 million hours MTBF, 300MBps DTR, a 5 year warranty, all for only $105 US on Amazon. After hours of research, this looks like a great drive to replace my failed F:/ projects drive.

Can I still use this drive (see my profile for workstation specs)? It’s a 7-pin Serial ATA and looks like it should be fine, but again, RAIDS—maybe there’s more than meets the eye for me.

Please let me know if you need specs, etc.

Thanks, Everyone.

Paul

Solution

Yes, regular users can use this as a single non-RAID drive, even though it was designed to be used for businesses.

There's nothing different or special you have to do to use the drive.
heres copy pasta of my raid notes
RAID 0 Striping means we take data that’s being written to the hard disk drive and split it in two such that it’s written to two different hard drives at the same time. Speed, no redundancy

RAID 1 Mirroring means there are two hard disk drives, one hard drive keeps a constant backup of another in case of a failure. Redundancy, no speed increase

Duplexing have two hard disk drives. As striping and mirroring BUT there are two RAID controllers instead of ONE RAID controller like in Striping and Mirroring.

RAID 5 Parity uses a third drive on top of the two hard drives holding the parity data, or the data that can reconstruct is one of the two striped hard drives fails, 3 or more drives striped together with parity information for redundancy

you can raid any two drives as long they use the same interface and its best to pick two of the same size drives. if you pick a 300gb drive and a 500gb drive and try to raid it the 500gb drive will be crippled to act like a 300gb

Yes, regular users can use this as a single non-RAID drive, even though it was designed to be used for businesses.

There's nothing different or special you have to do to use the drive.

Solution