Question about Gigabyte GTX 460 Fermi 1GB temps

Status
Not open for further replies.

inane_asylum

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2008
I've read that they run hot, but I was playing StarCraft II last night on max settings like I have been for the past couple of weeks when I heard the fans go into overdrive. I minimized it and quickly checked SpeedFan only to find that the GPU was reportedly running at around 85c :eek:

Is this...normal? It usually runs around 55c when the game is running, but this just seems extreme. I cranked the chassis fans on my case to max, knocked the games settings down from ultra to high, and left the side panels off to see what difference it would make, and the highest I saw it after that was 74c.

I just want to know if I'm slowly (or quickly) killing my GPU here.

...and what happened to the days when a video card would just cause lag at too high settings instead of killing itself to do what it's told? :p

Solution

Most card manufacturers include overclocking software in their packages. It is a very commonly accepted practice. You could probably still RMA your card if you did overclock it and it fried. You can always claim you didn't know what happened to it.

Just increase your clocks gradually and test in between. If you are getting it up to clock speeds much higher than what others are getting, don't fool yourself, back off a little and leave it there. As soon as you see graphical irregularities (lines, black dots, etc.), drop the speed down and try it again. Somewhere in the low to mid-800's is common for a max overclock...

letsgetsteve

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
are you overclocking? and if so did you move the fan control at all? When i overclock my cards i usually turn the speed control up to 70% and leave it there because sometimes i find that it "forgets" to increase the speed as my card gets hot. as far as being a hot card matt is right, its a fairly cool piece of fermi but i still think it can handle those temps. good luck.

inane_asylum

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2008
Not overclocking, I don't like to risk frying expensive hardware for moderate performance increases.

What programs are able to control fan speed? I haven't found anything for my card yet...

Regarding the framerate cap fix, I can only find fixes for the beta, not the full version.

Oh, and my temps aren't getting any higher than 65c on Furmark benchmarks...

notty22

Distinguished
They would never know, but imo, it will never fry.
They make these cards factory clocked to 850mhz. I have mine up to 920 with the voltage adjusted to the max 1.087.
About 840 without touching the voltage.
Do it, enjoy, reap the benefits :)

ATi RaDEoN

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
If you have an AC then keep your pc cabinet near to it and gtx 460 will rock.
I overclocked my 9800gt to max and even when I play crysis warhead at enthusiast settings and 4x AA temperature(28-30 fps) don't go above 35 degree C...no condensation will take place because hardware will produce heat and temperature will not go below room temperature.

Most card manufacturers include overclocking software in their packages. It is a very commonly accepted practice. You could probably still RMA your card if you did overclock it and it fried. You can always claim you didn't know what happened to it.

Just increase your clocks gradually and test in between. If you are getting it up to clock speeds much higher than what others are getting, don't fool yourself, back off a little and leave it there. As soon as you see graphical irregularities (lines, black dots, etc.), drop the speed down and try it again. Somewhere in the low to mid-800's is common for a max overclock on a GTX460.

This is some info on overclocking the Gigabyte GTX460 using Afterburner. They got it up to 861mhz:
http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-460-review/29

Solution

lun4tic

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I bumped my GTX 460 1GB up to 800/1600 and the temperatures maxed out around 85C. The fans were also running at around 70% at that point. I'm a little concerned, but not too much. I'll probably play around with the fan settings, or set it to a permanent 80-100% so I don't have to worry about it. If the fan can dynamically update, it would raise much higher if 80C wasn't acceptable.

I'd say you're good with that o.c. and temp settings. The fan would adjust to a higher speed if you were pushing things too much, but as it is you are well within the normal operating parameters. You could probably go higher, up until you start to see some graphical glitches. I doubt you will ever see the fan above, say, 90%.

I've never been a fan of changing the fan settings. If everything is working right, the Auto setting should do the trick. Now, if you start to see temps in the high 90c's, and the fan is still in the 70-80% range, then the fan settings need to be fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.