Will this homebuilt system work?

prettymuchfat

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
Hello!

I have decided to build a new computer this week, out of pretty affordable components. Since this is my first build, it would be great if someone could assure me that this combination will work, before I order the components.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition
CPU cooler: Corsair Cooling Hydro H50
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3
GPU: Asus GeForce GT240 1GB
RAM: Corsair XMS3 4GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9
Hard drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 160GB SATA x2
DVD drive: Samsung SH-S223C/BEWE
Case: Xigmatek Asgard CPC-T45UB-U01 (W / O PSU)
Back fan for case: Noctua R8 Silent Case Fan 80mm
PSU: Axpertec Xion 400W Version 2.20

I'm sorry if it's a tricky question to answer directly, but I am new at this and if someone knows that one component doesn't work with another, please tell me. :)

Also, I plan to overclock and "unlock" the four cores of the AMD Phenom, that is why I have the water cooler.

Fire Lancer

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
Those parts should work however.

There is no guarantee at all that the CPU will unlock properly, eg some of the CPU's sold as X2 or X3 were sold as such because some of the cores were defective and would not properly work, and so AMD deactivated those cores rather than bin the whole CPU. To get one that will fully unlock you have to be lucky and get one that was fully working, but say AMD sold as X2 in order to meet demand. I think I read somewhere the X2 -> X4 success rate is around 70%, so I guess it depends on if you want to take that gamble.

Why the 160GB drives? Certainly seems better value for money to get one (or two if your after RAID) 500GB or 1TB drives.

No idea about that PSU. Just be careful not to get a cheap brand since they will not be able to output the listed power for long and if they blow they can destroy other components in your computer.

prettymuchfat

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
Thanks for the fast reply, Fire Lancer.

No I am not after RAID. I need two hard drives because my system is, kind of, built for Adobe After Effects, which works better with two hard drives whereas one stores all the video. I know that there are probably much better configs for video editing, but this is a rather cheap alternative, that somewhat fulfills After Effects CS5 recommended requeirements.