Biostar G41-M7 memory

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Biostar
  • Memory
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
November 2, 2010 1:20:44 PM

Just inherited a Biostar G41-M7 v. 6.5 with an Intel E5400 that I would like to use. Installed a 2GB stick of OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 800MHz Platinum XTC (OCZ2P8002G) but they don't seem to like each other even after upgrading to the latest bios.

The board supposedly supports 8GB of ram and obviously this list is far from comprehensive.

Ideally, I would like to put 8GB of 1066MHz ram in it but would like to know what is stable before I buy. Anyone know of compatible memory of 2 or 4GB running at 800MHz or higher with this board?

Thanks,
Ev

More about : biostar g41 memory

November 2, 2010 1:56:59 PM

You upgraded the bios but did you try to set timings to the spec for the RAM sticks?

Usually you can get the recommended timings from the manufacturer and input them in the BIOS and it may help compatibility.

If you want 8 GB you're going to have to buy 2x4GB sticks as I googled real quick and looks like you only have 2 DIMM's.

I checked Biostar's list and it didn't have a single tested 4GB stick...

I think you're looking for "use/buy this ram" or do step abc to get the OCZ to work but don't know off hand. I'll suggest checking the timings and would imagine that unless this motherboard is very picky or doesn't allow you to manually set RAM timings and voltages you should be ok with most name brand higher end ram(also generally they'll let you set them slower than advertised which tends to help compatibility).
m
l
November 2, 2010 6:09:42 PM

will14 said:
You upgraded the bios but did you try to set timings to the spec for the RAM sticks?

Usually you can get the recommended timings from the manufacturer and input them in the BIOS and it may help compatibility.

If you want 8 GB you're going to have to buy 2x4GB sticks as I googled real quick and looks like you only have 2 DIMM's.

I checked Biostar's list and it didn't have a single tested 4GB stick...

I think you're looking for "use/buy this ram" or do step abc to get the OCZ to work but don't know off hand. I'll suggest checking the timings and would imagine that unless this motherboard is very picky or doesn't allow you to manually set RAM timings and voltages you should be ok with most name brand higher end ram(also generally they'll let you set them slower than advertised which tends to help compatibility).

Yes, I tried changing the timings to no avail.

Correct only two DIMM slots.

And, yes, I am looking for recommendations on what to buy next rather than purchase blindly only to be stuck with the same issue.
m
l
Related resources
a c 122 B Homebuilt system
a b } Memory
November 2, 2010 8:49:47 PM

Save your money. You really cannot use anything faster than DDR2-800 RAM. The G41 is an economy chip. The FSB freq won't go past about 350 MHz.
m
l
November 2, 2010 9:49:43 PM

jsc said:
Save your money. You really cannot use anything faster than DDR2-800 RAM. The G41 is an economy chip. The FSB freq won't go past about 350 MHz.

Thanks for the advice. I'd come to the same conclusion myself. Also, after running memtest it appears that it's not a compatibility issue but a bad stick anyway. So I'm going to settle for 4GB of DDR2-800 and call it a day. Thanks for the help.
m
l
November 2, 2010 9:50:14 PM

Best answer selected by ever7.
m
l
!