Hard Drive issues.

CalvinL

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012
I just scanned my hard drive using some 'HD Tune pro 5.00' (recommended to me). Anyways, ive got an error code saying 'error at 90206MB (LBA 184743424) And i haven't a clue of what it means. Anyone able to tell me?

By the way, running the scan to try and solve some kind of a ticking noise coming from my PC, around the hard drive area. On boot up, it doesn't detect my drive at all and i still have all of my data.

Will post the results once the hard drive scan is finished.

Hard drive is: Hitachi HDS721010DLE630 with firmware MS2OA650.

RealBeast

Titan
Sounds like that LBA is a problem. Did you run chkdsk /f

If the ticking noise is coming from your HDD, backup your data immediately and consider that the drive may be trying to die. That is probably the heads slamming into the stop. Run an appropriate SMART diagnostic for your drive, but above all if you do not use good backup -- start doing so today.

CalvinL

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012

Could you show me how to do that? The chkdsk /f. Also, this has actually been going on for a while now. Happened about 1 or 2 months ago as well, and stopped then started up again recently. Unfortunately, I don't have any backups. Any recommendations? I've also ran a comprehensive test via SpeedFan and will post the screenshot tomorrow of what the results were (not on my PC atm).

RealBeast

Titan
As Phil22 said, you should be using an appropriate HDD test, in this case the Hitachi drive fitness test that he linked since it is a Hitachi drive. It will test all SMART parameters and determine if the drive is bad. The ticking is very worrisome, as it could be the "tick of death."

It is very important that you immediately back up all data before doing anything else. Turn off the computer until you can do the backup and then run the diagnostics.

CalvinL

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012
So, it's more than likely a hard drive failure? Been going on for a while now..should it have not failed already? And should I send an email to my PC supplier as I only purchased it before Christmas.

RealBeast

Titan
It could be, so protect your data. Then test the drive to know for sure. I've had bad drives die instantly or make agonizing clicks for months before dying -- you never know. If the drive passes and just has some bad sectors, you can move to the next step.

CalvinL

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012

Ok, i've tried to set up the Hitachi driver test, but it wont allow me. Something about not having a floppy disk? Anyways, I used the SpeedFan online analysis and it gave me this: http://screencap.net/f/3ce31c14.png
I haven't a clue of what any of it means.

It indicates that the drive has 741 “Bad” sectors that have been remapped. This in itself is not bad as it may have been done at Manuf before ship. It is common for HDDs to have bad sectors that have been remapped before shipping. The problem I see is that you also have some bad sectors that need to be remapped. These were most likely from inuse. If bad sector count keeps increasing that is telling you “I’m going to die, just not when”

You can download and create a Bootable CD that includes several HDD utilities (Hitachi).
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

NOTE this is an ISO file so do not just copy, select write using an ISO file.
Normally you can just drag the file to the DVD drive icon.

CalvinL

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012

I appreciate the help you've given me, but I haven't a clue of what any of it means. What I don't understand is the bootable CD thing, the ISO basically. I had a quick look through the guide for the test and it had the SMART test image on it, and what it looks like. I resorted back to SpeedFan and found the exact same thing. I performed an extended test under the SMART tab on SpeedFan and it came back with no errors. Anyways, i'll just post an SS of what it gave me. http://screencap.net/f/051fdc11.png

Bootable CD for DOS based and linux based programs is very simular to booting from a Floppy disk drive - except vey few computers have a FDD.

..So you just down load the ISO (if it is in a zipped format you will need to UNzip it).
.. Place a Blank CD into drive.
.. Drag the file to the DVD Drive Icon located in MY computer.

when Done, reboot computer and if DVD drive is listed as First device to boot to it should boot to the CD. Same-same as when you put a Windows installation dvd into the drive and boot to it. PS if not first device you need to change the boot priority in BIOS.
From this point it is just a matter of following the on screen instructions.

CalvinL

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012

Alright, so I download the HD test and the ultimate boot CD, unzip the file and place the file into the dvd drive icon. I then reboot with the CD still inside and an installation menu should pop up?

CalvinL

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012

Okay, I've done everything listed so far. I tried to drag and drop the file into the icon on my computer and its not allowing me to.

What program do you use to write to CD/DVDs.

I use a freebee called Imgburn. Use to use Nero, but like this freebee beter. Just download and install. Then drag the ISO to the desktop ICON for Imgburn.
Imgburn: http://www.filehippo.com/download_imgburn/

CalvinL

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012

Gone and downloaded Imgburn. Dragged the iso from ultimate boot CD to Imgburn and it says no writers detected. (Sorry for being such a noob by the way :p )

You do have a cd writer (Have to ask). and can your write to it, ie just copy a file to a blank disk??

You may need to get a friend to do this (make the CD) on his/her computer.

Also may be time for more info, IE what computer (Make Model) do you have. If Imgburn could not find your dvd drive you may have more problems with your Computer.

CalvinL

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012

Yeah, I've a CD writer. I'll try on my other computer, to make the CD. And its a custom built PC.

CalvinL

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012
Ok, I found another driver test that didn't give me as much problems to install. It detected my Hitachi drive and I got some results. http://screencap.net/f/a6f8df54.png
http://screencap.net/f/a575d1e8.png
I'm not sure whether or not this is good news or bad news, hopefully someone will be able to tell me. I've got an email on standby to send out to my PC supplier, informing them of my problem and asking for a replacement (Still under warranty)

Latest posts