Sign in with
Your question
Solved

PSU Aging and Calculators

Last response: in Components
January 27, 2011 10:39:40 PM

I am very close on the number of watts I need for a new build. I have just enough room to add what I reasonably think I might over the life of the system. Then I noticed an aging aspect to the formulas. I also noticed the PSU calculator I was using came up with a much lower answer than adding up the watts for all the components.

What is a reasonable allowance for aging? 10%? 40%? Something else?

Why is wattage from http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp lower than adding up parts?

More about : psu aging calculators

a c 287 ) Power supply
January 27, 2011 10:49:42 PM

What parts are you picking and how are you adding them together(what wattage are you assuming for each component)?

The calculator is reasonably accurate, the aging comes from the unit getting older and slowly loosing capacity, with a good unit even with 30% aging it will still be able to put out what it claims on the label, and it will take quite a while to get a good set of caps to 30% aged. It suggests using 10% for most and 20-30% if you are going to keep it running all the time 40% is excessive as that would take many many years.
m
l
January 27, 2011 10:58:36 PM

I looked up the wattage for each component. For components with no wattage, I used the individual deltas from the caluculator so I would have and equivalent total I thought I could balance arithmetically. Somehow I think there must be a curce in this equation.

Thanks for the rule of thumb on the percentages.

I posted a build under "Decisions, Decisions". Don't want to repeat here.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
January 27, 2011 11:57:08 PM

its a high quality psu. dont bother with capacitor aging. it doesnt happen 10%. it happens a few % over the life of the psu, but this wont maek a difference. anybody who claims you lose 10%/year is wrong.
January 28, 2011 1:19:31 AM

Thank you. Sounds very reasonable.
m
l
January 28, 2011 1:19:44 AM

Best answer selected by loukur.
m
l
!