Sign in with
Your question

Partitions on RAID 1 dissapear GA-Z68XP-UD3, Marvell adapter.

Last response: in Storage
February 12, 2013 7:34:12 PM

I unplugged all my drives then I played a bit with OSX cause wanted to test using differents drives and did not want to affect my normal setup.

After that, I plugged everything back at exactly the same place and made sure my adapter was still set on RAID in the BIOS.
The Marvell BIOS sees my RAID1 array correctly, but Windows 7 doesn't see my partitions anymore.
I have VERY valuable data on these 2 disks, wich is the reason I had them in RAID1.
Is there something wrong with the Marvell drivers?
I can't seem to find anywhere in the Marvell tray storage management software any way to recover my lost partitions.

I am using a GA-Z68XP-UD3 with F10 bios version and two seagate ST3000DM001-9YN166 drives for my Raid while booting Windows 7 on a SSD and using 3 other hard drives for normal storage.

Any help would be appreciated
a b G Storage
February 12, 2013 8:30:15 PM

why if you have a Z68 motherboard with Intel RAID capabilities are you using a slower Marvel controller?

RAID arrays do NOT like being tampered with and should NEVER be tampered with like this if you want your data to be safe

Best solution that i do all the time for cases like this (provided the RAID1 "seems" to be ok across both RAID1 drives):

1) ghost contents of one of the drives off to another single HDD on a native sata port
2) boot from that drive (if its a windows drive) and run CHKDSK and SFC runs and verify everything is aok
3) break the RAID1 setup, zero write the drives (quick)
4) re-create the RAID1 array
5) Ghost from the single/stand alone HDD to the RAID array
6) verify its aok, then zero write the stand alone/single drive

ditch the Marvell controller and use the Intel RAID seriously
m
l
a b G Storage
February 12, 2013 8:39:53 PM

Can you restore from a backup? Please keep in mind that RAID1 is NOT backup, it's availability.
m
l
Related resources
February 12, 2013 8:59:13 PM

Quote:
Can you restore from a backup? Please keep in mind that RAID1 is NOT backup, it's availability.

Well... guess I'm learning that the hard way..

Quote:
Best solution that i do all the time for cases like this (provided the RAID1 "seems" to be ok across both RAID1 drives):

1) ghost contents of one of the drives off to another single HDD on a native sata port
2) boot from that drive (if its a windows drive) and run CHKDSK and SFC runs and verify everything is aok
3) break the RAID1 setup, zero write the drives (quick)
4) re-create the RAID1 array
5) Ghost from the single/stand alone HDD to the RAID array
6) verify its aok, then zero write the stand alone/single drive

I can't ghost anything since windows sees the array as unallocated space.
Plus, I don't have another HDD big enough to ghost it to , since they're 3TB HDDs.
But then, the Marvell controller software (wich, by the way, sucks), says everything is ok. Same thing in the BIOS.
I tried booting with only one of the drives, in AHCI and IDE, none of it works. Windows still don't see anything.
I can't even use Parted Magic or Linux to get my data, since there is no linux driver for the Marvell controller.

Any clues as why this could have happen?
Again, any help is appreciated and thanks for your answers, guys.

m
l
a b G Storage
February 13, 2013 12:56:21 AM

Sorry man. Was going to mention linux seems to be great at seeing software raids. This is a longshot, but might try putting both of them on the intel ports in raid 1 and trying linux. Probably only after you've exhausted other possibilities.
m
l
February 13, 2013 1:21:50 AM

doesn't work.. I toyed with one of them with gparted and i couldn't do anything. now it's rebuilding itself. it takes forever and i keep getting BSODs...
Got not much hope left..
m
l
a b G Storage
February 13, 2013 3:16:34 AM

I'm still trying to figure out why RAID1 is not just a real mirror of the drive, in that I should be able to take half the set and plug it in to any sata interface and have full access. I mean, really. WTH does each vendor have some proprietary crap. It make no sense.
m
l
!