Cooling the SB 2500k.and 2600k.

Thanks to a member here I now know for sure that the cpu will be a 2500k or 2600k. I am going to overclock probably around 4gHz or so. Would I need a cooler fro it or would the stock cooler be ok.
5 answers Last reply
More about cooling 2500k 2600k
  1. I would advise against using the stock cooler although it may be possible to use it at 4 ghz. My i7 2600K is running fine @ 4.5 ghz on a $30 Cooler Master Hyper 212+ cooler

Intel is still packaging the same junk HSFs that they have been for years
  2. I believe the stock cooler will be able to handle 4ghz just fine. This will most likely still be at stock voltages, since it's only about a 20% overclock from stock.

Plus the guy at anandtech got to 4.4ghz on the stock cooler.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-sandy-bridge-review-intel-core-i7-2600k-i5-2500k-core-i3-2100-tested/3

So you should be able to save a few bucks just by keeping the stock cooler.
  3. If you have to increase the voltage with your overclock, your CPU will likely throttle itself downward due to excessive heat with the stock cooler.

I second bearclaw's recommendation of the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus for $30.
  4. to be on the safe side, custom cooler would be recommended since you want to go 4ghz and above.
  5. Thanks as always. My biggest concern was a custom cooler for a NXZT Phantom case. I have read some won't fit.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Overclocking Cooling