Sign in with
Your question

Xp cannot see ssid of wireless networks

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Anonymous
August 11, 2010 7:40:42 PM

I installed a Linksys e1000 wireless router on a computer with Vista. Then I manually added the configuration to a computer with XP to give it access. The XP computer does connect but when I display available wireless networks, it does not show it. The other computer does display it.
How can I get the XP computer to display the network? It does list other networks.

More about : ssid wireless networks

August 12, 2010 6:54:20 AM

Quote:
I installed a Linksys e1000 wireless router on a computer with Vista. Then I manually added the configuration to a computer with XP to give it access. The XP computer does connect but when I display available wireless networks, it does not show it. The other computer does display it.
How can I get the XP computer to display the network? It does list other networks.

[#0005ff]This could just be that the XP machine's wireless adapter isn't able to "see" networks of a certain security level but can connect since you added it manually. It's also possible that the router's SSID is hidden but the Vista or W7 systems are displaying it because they already know it's there.[/#000ff]
m
l
Anonymous
August 12, 2010 12:59:49 PM

There are occasionally compatibility issues between older 802.11G wireless adapters and newer N routers. In my experience this can manifest itself as not seeing the router's signal even if the SSID is being broadcast.
m
l
!