Strange System Reboot issues

Hi ,
My Desktop system is having strange issues from past couple of weeks.
Actually the biggest of them that is of my prime concern is that "Its getting restarted every once in a while, itself".
Sometimes it reboots 10 times in a minute, sometimes once in an hour , and sometimes it keeps on rebooting like as it were programmed to be in an infinite reboot loop :p.........

It doesnt seems to be a software or O\S issue , as the system is rebooting even when its booted up , or when I am setting up the BIOS , or even when I am choosing which OS to boot....
sometimes it boots up in middle of any important work...:(:(

Currently installed Operating system are
-Windows Seven Ultimate
-Windows Xp Sp3
-Ubuntu10.04 (Missing Grub ..so it doesnt appears in bootup anyhow,but its installed in a seperate part on hdd)

The physical configuration of my Computer System is
---
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2 Ghz 2mb l2 cache mem,(~3.5 Years Old)
Intel DG14RQ motherboard ( ~10 months old)
3 Gb DDR2 ram , dual channel ,(1gb Apacer (3yr old) and 2gb kingston (10 months old))
250gb Sata HDD WD Sata 1(Boot Config installed ), 1024GB Sata HDD WD sata 2,
Dvd-R Lg Sata 3,
Nvidia GeForce 8400gs Zotac ,
I also use samsung smb2030 syncmast lcd on DVI cable.

Now can any one tell me the reason why My computer keeps on rebooting at any point of time..???
Is there a conflict in Memory , cause it dual channeled.
Also sometimes the grfx card fails to work , or say sometimes it appears like the system is running in 8 bit color mode , cause from boot-up screen till windows logon screen the screen color looks pathetic and messy with green green and white lines all over the screen..........

I fixed this problem last month by diassembling and then re-assembling everything out of the cabinet....but this has appeared again and I am facing this issue from past three four days .,
This time I left Bio setting back to original -load optimal settings- but it didnt gave any results. :(:( .
7 answers Last reply
More about strange system reboot issues
  1. If you go into your BIOS, what are the temperatures sitting at?

What are the temps like once you boot the system?
  2. I have faced BSOD scree once in a while , and sometimes this reboot issue starts after the BSOD as well.
    The SMSP is of Oddyssey 400watts and w/o any UPS power backup.
    Also I have a Lan cable connected to my system.
  3. ITZDANIELP , Usually the temperature ranges are not above 60degree centigrade for any of the peripherals.
    Hdds have 35 degree temp , cpu runs around 50 degree temp and gpu around 47-54 degree temp...motherboard also has very low temperature ...~40 -42 degree temp,.
    I did the temperature check using a tool called speccy , and the temps are in Centigrades.// dont have a temp checking optin in motherboard...its INTEL.!
  4. Did the problem start when you added the new Memory (around 10 months ago?)
  5. Well last time when I upgraded my system configuration , It was 1 gb ddr2 with msi-945 motherboard....w/o gfx card and 200 watts smps......... when I added 2gb card and the gfx card..the smps alongwith the motherboard burned out......
    SO replaced it with intel motherboard and added the 400 watts smps....

I think I do have some instability due to this ram combination, although they have same frequency setting...I think 666mhz...

Also this error seems more frequent ever since I added a 1TB WDD hard disk....7200rpm with 64mb cache.... the earlier one was 32 mb cache.......

is there any instability due to multiple hdds ??
  6. No, the HD shouldn't cause any instability issue as it is only for storage, unless you have them in a RAID setup.

I think most of your problems are from your RAM. using different size RAM as well as different brand can definitely cause issues.
  7. Actually I tried taking out the ram modules and using them independently .....still it persists.........this problems is really wierd for me..:(
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards