Sign in with
Your question

I need your opinions on which processor to get.. please help.

Last response: in CPUs
January 28, 2011 3:12:05 AM

Please help me decide..

[NOT IMPORTANT.. YOU MAY SKIP THIS PART]
First off, sorry if I've been posting a lot lately. This is the only forum I joined because I've read a lot of informative threads here and the best part is, there's always someone who backs their answer up with proof, but bare simple answers are very informative too. The reason why I've been posting a lot is because I am planning to buy a computer some time this year, but I can't really decide which parts I'll get. I don't have any issues with compatibility but its really hard to decide which one will give me the most out of what I spend.
[END OF NON IMPORTANT PART]

The main problem I am faced with right now is deciding upon is the age old question - AMD or Intel. I'm really having a hard time deciding because I'm not really sure what I want so please help me weigh both of them and please tell me which would be the best pick for me.

First, I have a very limited budget, but at the same time, I don't have a specific budget yet. I can always extend a bit more, but it will take me longer to save that much money. Before I did my research, I was planning to spend about $340 in total for the CPU complete with a GPU, processor, motherboard, RAM, hard drive, and power supply. I already threw away the old PC we had from almost 10 years ago, so I'm building it from scratch. But after doing my homework, I then realized that buying a $340 PC today would mean that I'll only be able to play limited games after about 2 years. I decided to extend my budget to $450 more or less or maybe up to $500. This is my budget for the PC I'll be building and I want a PC that won't limit the games I play until about 3 - 5 years.

The processors I'm trying to decide upon are:

Intel Core i5-2400 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz [http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...]

or

AMD Phenom II X4 970 Black Edition Deneb 3.5GHz [http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...]

I know for a fact that Intel processors are really better compared to AMD but it's also really expensive. I want to buy something that I can easily upgrade from time to time and AMD is really good at this because of backwards compatibility. But if Intel can provide me a computer that will last at least 5 years and give me better performance, it would be more enough. Again I have a budget so if I choose the Intel processor, I'll have to get lower specs for the GPU and motherboard but if I choose AMD, I'll get lower performance but more for the GPU, Motherboard and RAM. I also want something that's durable so I won't have to keep on replacing parts after a few months or so. I plan to upgrade the parts from time to time, like for example, if I pick the Intel processor, I'll get the i5 2400 for now but I'll keep on saving money until the time I can get the i5 2500K and finally i7 2600K. These are all 1155 socket processors so compatibility is not an issue.

Please tell me what would be the best choice for me. I will use the computer mostly for playing games like Mass Effect 2, Left4dead 1 and 2, Bioshock, Lost Planet 2, and similar games. I know all of these require high graphics card but no matter what processor I select, I don't want to exceed $150 for the GPU. I'll be spending more on the motherboard because I want it to last a minimum of 5 years so I need to get the best one available.

Thanks to anyone and everyone who can help..

More about : opinions processor

January 28, 2011 3:33:16 AM

I don't say this to sound discouraging, but if you're hoping to have a computer that's gonna game for the next 5 years you're s.o.l. 3 years maybe, but 5 years from now, even the i5's will be out dated. If you think about it, 5 years ago, duo-cores were brand new. So things are going to advance a LOT faster, and just get faster and faster. But, to answer your question, both of those processors are very good. The i5 will overclock very well and will definitely show a better performance output than the AMD.

As far as a graphics card goes for $150, look at the 768mb 460GTX cards.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 28, 2011 4:57:13 AM

Honestly, I'd save up a few more hundred $$. Doing a good gaming build for everything under $500 is near impossible, especially with higher end processors like you list. That's more in the AMD older quad core/triple core range, and even then it's tight
m
l
Related resources
January 28, 2011 6:21:14 AM

opexx said:
I don't say this to sound discouraging, but if you're hoping to have a computer that's gonna game for the next 5 years you're s.o.l. 3 years maybe, but 5 years from now, even the i5's will be out dated. If you think about it, 5 years ago, duo-cores were brand new. So things are going to advance a LOT faster, and just get faster and faster. But, to answer your question, both of those processors are very good. The i5 will overclock very well and will definitely show a better performance output than the AMD.

As far as a graphics card goes for $150, look at the 768mb 460GTX cards.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

First off, thank you for reading my post. In relation to your answer, I would just like to ask why my friend, who spent less than $150 for an AMD processor and $150 for his GPU, was able to build a rig that can still play L4D2, Assassin's Creed 2 and Mass Effect 2 at max settings today. He bought those parts more than 2 or 3 years ago. I'm spending more than double for the rig I'll be building now so I was expecting better performance and longer lifespan. His processor is an AMD Athlon x2 something - I forgot which specific one. His GPU is from 2 years before, and yet he can play games released today at max settings without experiencing much lag. There are occasional lags but it's not enough to piss him off and make him want to just shut down his PC.
Is it really true that the rig I'll be buying will already be obsolete after about 5 years, and so will I have to start from scratch again by that time? I'm still planning on upgrading from time to time, so before my rig reaches 5 years, I'm sure I'll have the i7 2600K processor, a newer GPU, and I would've maxed out the capacity of the motherboard which is 32GB RAM. If Intel releases newer processors in 5 years that I can still fit in my motherboard(which is nearly impossible), I'll get that core or I'll get the newest core I can fit in a 1155 socket. Will a 6 core rig be almost useless for games after 5 years? T_T
m
l
January 28, 2011 6:22:43 AM

bearclaw99 said:
Honestly, I'd save up a few more hundred $$. Doing a good gaming build for everything under $500 is near impossible, especially with higher end processors like you list. That's more in the AMD older quad core/triple core range, and even then it's tight

Dude, thanks for replying and for reading my long message. I just replied to the first post, please read that as well, if in case you are still interested in helping me. Thanks!!
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 28, 2011 5:39:53 PM

emmanuelxian07 said:
First off, thank you for reading my post. In relation to your answer, I would just like to ask why my friend, who spent less than $150 for an AMD processor and $150 for his GPU, was able to build a rig that can still play L4D2, Assassin's Creed 2 and Mass Effect 2 at max settings today. He bought those parts more than 2 or 3 years ago. I'm spending more than double for the rig I'll be building now so I was expecting better performance and longer lifespan. His processor is an AMD Athlon x2 something - I forgot which specific one. His GPU is from 2 years before, and yet he can play games released today at max settings without experiencing much lag. There are occasional lags but it's not enough to piss him off and make him want to just shut down his PC.
Is it really true that the rig I'll be buying will already be obsolete after about 5 years, and so will I have to start from scratch again by that time? I'm still planning on upgrading from time to time, so before my rig reaches 5 years, I'm sure I'll have the i7 2600K processor, a newer GPU, and I would've maxed out the capacity of the motherboard which is 32GB RAM. If Intel releases newer processors in 5 years that I can still fit in my motherboard(which is nearly impossible), I'll get that core or I'll get the newest core I can fit in a 1155 socket. Will a 6 core rig be almost useless for games after 5 years? T_T

Just to be asking, What resolution does your friend game at? It's a lot easier to get max settings in games at 800x600 than 1920X1080... :bounce: 
m
l
January 28, 2011 5:47:21 PM

clarkjd said:
Just to be asking, What resolution does your friend game at? It's a lot easier to get max settings in games at 800x600 than 1920X1080... :bounce: 

He always uses the maximum settings... 1920X1080, I'm not kidding and I'm really sure this is his resolution. He always slaps me on the face with his game settings every time I visit their home and every time we play LAN games like L4D. I can't play L4D2 because my laptop sucks, and that's why I badly need a new computer.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 28, 2011 5:52:13 PM

emmanuelxian07 said:
He always uses the maximum settings... 1920X1080, I'm not kidding and I'm really sure this is his resolution. He always slaps me on the face with his game settings every time I visit their home and every time we play LAN games like L4D. I can't play L4D2 because my laptop sucks, and that's why I badly need a new computer.

Without knowing what his hardware consists of, it's gonna be hard to figure out how he is getting such performance... :pt1cable: 
m
l
January 28, 2011 6:23:05 PM

clarkjd said:
Without knowing what his hardware consists of, it's gonna be hard to figure out how he is getting such performance... :pt1cable: 

I know well enough to say that his computer is already obsolete.
I'll tell you the specs which I can remember..

PROCESSOR: An old dual core Athlon x2 - 2.8GHz speed and I'm sure the cache is less than 4mb
MOTHERBOARD: AM2+ or 3 that was worth about a little over $100
RAM: 2GB only!! I'm not sure of the speed but this was bought more than 2 years ago
GPU: I think it's ATI or something. 1GB memory, 128mb speed or less, was worth about $100 too
Hard drive: 40gb hard drive which he got from his last PC (before he got this computer)
PSU: worth less than $10 (it's like a stock PSU)

Again, he had this computer more than 2 years ago and he doesn't know how to OC. I'm as sure as he*l that he doesn't know what OCing is.

My point here and my real question is, if I build a rig right now and part by part, upgrade it every now and then, will it still be able to play games which will be released about 5 more years or so?
m
l
!