Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Dual or Single Processor System?

Last response: in Systems
Share
November 2, 2010 6:46:51 PM

Hi guys this is my second time posting here. I just started building my new system with NZXt phantom case MOD with 21x120mm fans including 480+240mm rads w/ shrouds. It's prebuild ideal for a single processor system set up and extreme overclocking.

I dont know if im better off with a single processor or dual processor. I would like to know the difference between the two and i think its obvious that with dual processor two users can log in at two monitor desktop screens at the same time???

What would be the results in performance with 2p when used in a single user? would there be any performance advantages? how much decrease would there be when 2 users log in at the same time? Would a dual processor Intel Xeon E5620 Westmere 2.4GHz combined be as powerful in benching as single overclocked i7 9xx series?

So much to ask i know...i would do my own reseach as well but for those who's thinking the same thing and knows something please help. Is it worth it? or should i just have two seperate set up.

Thanks

November 2, 2010 6:50:16 PM

You want a single processor with 3 to 6 cores for any home use. Dual processor (usually 4-6 cores each, for 8 or 12 cores) systems are for heavy duty server usage, and not really ideal for a home system.
m
0
l
November 2, 2010 6:54:38 PM

ScrewySqrl said:
You want a single processor with 3 to 6 cores for any home use. Dual processor (usually 4-6 cores each, for 8 or 12 cores) systems are for heavy duty server usage, and not really ideal for a home system.


well i figured my girlfriend and i could use the computer at the same time. instead of building two desktop why not build one powerful system when used in single user and fast enought for two users at the same time! that's the point where im getting at :D 
m
0
l
Related resources
November 2, 2010 6:56:57 PM

You could get a i7-950, and a graphics card above 6870, and get two monitors I think it would work.
m
0
l
November 2, 2010 7:00:12 PM

mk-ultra said:
You could get a i7-950, and a graphics card above 6870, and get two monitors I think it would work.


what do you mean? how could there be two users doing two things when there's only one mouse and one keyboard?
m
0
l
November 2, 2010 7:16:13 PM

I'm not sure if I am correct so THW feel free to correct me, You know how if you have a powerful enough Graphics card you can have two monitors and play games with both of them acting like one, but then you can also do different things on each one when you want. What i'm saying is i think its possible to do that but with 2 keyboard and 2 mice
m
0
l
November 2, 2010 7:30:12 PM

Actually that's what i am thinking but i just dont know if its posible. Im thinking one desktop tower for two users ( that means 2 sets of monitor, mouse, keyboard, and speaker)
m
0
l
November 2, 2010 7:33:38 PM

I understand what you mean, and what you are trying to do. I'm just not sure how to do it.
m
0
l
November 2, 2010 8:37:22 PM

It doesn't matter how many CPUs you have. It will not let you have 2 users, each with a keyboard and mouse.
m
0
l
November 2, 2010 8:49:25 PM

Unless you have a lot of money to just blow away.

Dual socket motherboards are 400-500 bucks and the processors run about 600-1000 each.


ScrewySqrl said:
You want a single processor with 3 to 6 cores for any home use. Dual processor (usually 4-6 cores each, for 8 or 12 cores) systems are for heavy duty server usage, and not really ideal for a home system.

m
0
l
November 2, 2010 8:54:05 PM

"with dual processor two users can log in at two monitor desktop screens at the same time??? "

NO!

"What would be the results in performance with 2p when used in a single user?"
the same unless you use it as a heavy usage server running VMware

"would there be any performance advantages?"
no it would strictly be a talking point and nothing else

" how much decrease would there be when 2 users log in at the same time?"
you can't

"Would a dual processor Intel Xeon E5620 Westmere 2.4GHz combined be as powerful in benching as single overclocked i7 9xx series? "
Xeons are designed for databases and heavy IO operations and not for gaming or general use.

So much to ask i know...i would do my own reseach as well but for those who's thinking the same thing and knows something please help. Is it worth it?
I don't think you've done any research on a dual socket setup because it is extremely expensive.

You will need two computers.


nateO10 said:
Hi guys this is my second time posting here. I just started building my new system with NZXt phantom case MOD with 21x120mm fans including 480+240mm rads w/ shrouds. It's prebuild ideal for a single processor system set up and extreme overclocking.

I dont know if im better off with a single processor or dual processor. I would like to know the difference between the two and i think its obvious that with dual processor two users can log in at two monitor desktop screens at the same time???

What would be the results in performance with 2p when used in a single user? would there be any performance advantages? how much decrease would there be when 2 users log in at the same time? Would a dual processor Intel Xeon E5620 Westmere 2.4GHz combined be as powerful in benching as single overclocked i7 9xx series?

So much to ask i know...i would do my own reseach as well but for those who's thinking the same thing and knows something please help. Is it worth it? or should i just have two seperate set up.

Thanks

m
0
l
November 2, 2010 8:56:23 PM

You really can't because of how directx is designed. You cannot have one computer and have 2 people on it. Windows was never designed for that. I doubt any other OS is designed for that.

mk-ultra said:
I'm not sure if I am correct so THW feel free to correct me, You know how if you have a powerful enough Graphics card you can have two monitors and play games with both of them acting like one, but then you can also do different things on each one when you want. What i'm saying is i think its possible to do that but with 2 keyboard and 2 mice

m
0
l
November 2, 2010 9:16:10 PM

I too am interested in OP's direction, and am trying to do so as well. The advantage of the system if possible is there would be no need for LAN cables and setting up LAN settings, restrictions, etc etc.

I think it is possible with Virtual Desktop, where you have a virtualized environment, just not sure how to do it though.

what about a virtualized OS environment, with software capable of distinguishing dual inputs? (ps2 and usb mouse). Pm me OP, maybe we can work this out together if there isnt enough answers here.

Quote
"well i figured my girlfriend and i could use the computer at the same time. instead of building two desktop why not build one powerful system when used in single user and fast enought for two users at the same time! that's the point where im getting at

Quote
"I'm not sure if I am correct so THW feel free to correct me, You know how if you have a powerful enough Graphics card you can have two monitors and play games with both of them acting like one, but then you can also do different things on each one when you want. What i'm saying is i think its possible to do that but with 2 keyboard and 2 mice
m
0
l
November 2, 2010 9:21:40 PM

Again as has been said - you can't do it.

Yes you can have different things on each monitor - but you can't have "keyboard and mouse one" run what's on monitor one, and "two" run the other monitor. There is no motherboard, bios, or OS that I know of that will let you do that.

Now maybe if you can invent it and patent it - go for it!
m
0
l
November 3, 2010 12:51:43 AM

the closest match to that is a Unix box with terminals attached, but client-server style use went out with the command prompt. You *can* get X11 to run on multiple client systems from a central server. but that requires 2 workstations and a server. Its not going to do what you want to do.

For you and your girlfriend to do it, you're MUCH better off building 2 computers.

for $1000 you can build a pair of Athlon II X3 systems with a 5770 or gts 450
For $1500 you could get 2 athlon ii X4 systems with a 6870 or phenom ii x4 with a GTX 460 or 6850

give us a budget and we'll give you two PCs.


will you both be gaming together? do you need monitors?
m
0
l
November 3, 2010 2:54:48 AM

2 computers ftw. Cheaper, easier to maintain and less compatibility headaches.

Even VM solutions usually require you to have thin clients accessing the server. What you want to do is make the server both a server and client.
m
0
l
November 4, 2010 3:14:40 AM

^ I would agree with amnotanoobie. Just make to different computers for you and your gf, just to get rid of any problems you may have if you do manage to make one computer work for two people.
m
0
l
!