PLEASE HELP ME!BSODs are causing me to go mad!

Flyboy3245

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Ok so here is my situation. I just bought this new computer with hopes of finally being able to play FSX and of course I am running into problems. Infact this is the most problems I have ever run into with a windows computer and I am completely discouraged right now....I feel like I have wasted my money on something that doesnt even work. I am getting like 15 fps on the ground at SFO with stutters and just ridiculous Blue Screens. I cant go 5 minutes without getting a blue screen it seems. I tried overclocking and since I am a complete Newbie I think I just keep making things worse. I removed the overclock from 3.45 ghz and It seems like that doesn't give me blue screens but still.. I am very angry at the fact that I have a great computer but it runs FSX like crap. I would love to overclock it to make it work better but I have no Idea what I am doing and just need some guidance as to where to go from here cause like I said buying a powerful computer and having it rendered useless to blue screens brings my frustration level off the charts.. Please help me. Here are my specs.

Intel Core i7 Extreme 975
Windows 7 Home Premium Edition (Build 7600)
CPU Arch : 1 CPU - 4 Cores - 8 Threads
CPU PSN : Intel Core i7 CPU 975 @ 3.33GHz
CPU EXT : MMX, SSE (1, 2, 3, 3S, 4.1, 4.2), EM64T, VT-x
CPUID : 6.A.5 / Extended : 6.1A
CPU Cache : L1 : 4 x 32 / 4 x 32 KB - L2 : 4 x 256 KB
CPU Cache : L3 : 8192 KB
Core : Bloomfield (45 nm) / Stepping : D0
Freq : 3474.33 MHz (133.63 * 26)
MB Brand : Asus
MB Model : P6TD DELUXE
NB : Intel X58 rev 13
SB : Intel 82801JR (ICH10R) rev 00
GPU1 Type : Radeon HD 5850
GPU1 Clocks : Core 814 MHz / RAM 1162 MHz
GPU2 Type : Radeon HD 5850
GPU2 Clocks : Core 814 MHz / RAM 1162 MHz
DirectX Version : 11.0
RAM : 12288 MB DDR3 Triple Channel
RAM Speed : 668.1 MHz (2:10) @ 9-9-9-24
Slot 1 : 2048MB (10700)
Slot 1 Manufacturer : Kingston
to
Slot 6 : 2048MB (10700)
Slot 6 Manufacturer : Kingston

The above settings are what I had it overclocked to when it was crashing.....Please help me....

I would look at one of these as possible causes:

1) Faulty RAM (test the sticks one at a time, and run the memtest utility)
2) Overheating (use CPUID HWMonitor to check your system temperatures)
3) Weak or faulty power supply (which one have you got? Not listed above)
4) Bad drivers (Make sure all hardware drivers are up to date)

Get some more information and come back to us.

PreferLinux

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010

Agreed.

Flyboy3245

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Ok my Computer was built by Vigor Gaming before they went out of business.

I have tested all the ram with memtest
It is not overheating at all with temperatures in the mid 50's
I have a 1000w evolution Power Supply
and Im pretty sure I have current drivers.

I tried tuning the GPU with MSI afterburner and GPU-Tool like it said in the guide but as soon as i changed the settings from 765 core clock to 815 core and 1125 memory clock to 1165 memory clock I started getting the blue screens.

The next time I get a blue screen while trying to tune I will write it down. Or should I just not tune it at all? Should I pay someone to tune it? All I want to do is be able to play flight Simulator well. Thats the entire reason I bought the computer.. Any further help is appreciated!

Flyboy3245

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Other Games Perform great! actually with no BSOD's. I just want to know why the littlest overclock of my GPU causes things to go Haywire resulting in Blue Screens....Any Ideas?

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
Go to your BIOS and restore to system defaults.

Basically make sure everything is running at default stock/recommended specs . I mean everything. Be sure to make sure the ram is running at the voltage/speed/timings it is rated for.

You have to make sure your machine is perfectly stable at stock first and foremost. From there you/we can help you figure out performance problems in games/apps etc.

Flyboy3245

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Ok So I have everything in BIOS set to Auto and I get no blue screens at all! But I would still like to be able to overclock it. Is that still a possibility to do without getting blue screens?

What do I need to be able to do so I can overclock my GPU? as soon as I try to change the settings in MSI Afterburner I get a BSOD saying "A clock interval was not received..." I heard that I should turn up the voltage but Im not completley sure how to do that so I just need advice how to fix that error when I want to turn up the Core clock and memory clock.

Yes FSX is Patched to the latest version and Yes it is a legal copy of the game.