CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4 GHz
Mobo: ASUS M4A79T Deluxe
GPU: SAPPHIRE 100315L Radeon HD 6850
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH
PSU: Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W
SSD: OCZ Agility 2 OCZSSD2-2AGTE60G 2.5" 60GB
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black WD6402AAEX 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s
Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
DVD: ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner
Monitor: ASUS MS Series MS228H Black / Blue 21.5" 2ms(GTG) LED LCD Monitor
OS: Windows 7 Pro for System Builders - OEM
Total (from Newegg): ~$1210 shipped (which is on the upper limit of my current budget , I'd consider up to $1250 if I really missed something). ~$50 in mail-in rebates also, so overall I guess it's ~$1160.
I'm looking at building a new computer primarily for gaming, since my laptop in no way is sufficient for demanding games (primarily Aion for now, I play SC2 but that runs well enough). I'll likely play Diablo III in the future, which I know my laptop won't be able to handle.
Reasons for choices:
1) I like the AMD build over the Intel build primarily for cost reasons.
2) I went with the Radeon HD 6850 over the GTX 460 mainly because there's so few AMD mobos with an NVIDIA North Bridge. And another ~$60.00 for the 6870? Would it really be a significant performance boost?
3) I know the Mobo is a bit of overkill on the PCI-E 2.0 slots, but I like the dual x16 in case I want to XFire later. I know it doesn't have SATA III, but I've read there isn't a big performance boost over SATA II yet. Plus, the SSD uses SATA II. USB 3.0 isn't widespread yet, so I'm not super concerned about that either.
4) I really like the timings on the RAM, plus the price is reasonable. Also, I don't do any major photo editing or anything, so I think 4 GB should be fine?
5) As far as the SSD, I'm likely only going to put Win7 (~20-25 GB?), Aion (~15-20 GB), and maybe Office 10 (down the road, I have Office 2007 on my laptop that I'll use for the time being). So I don't think I need more than 60 GB. If I do need more SSD, I can always RAID another one in the future?
1) The monitor I'm not 100% sure about. Is it worth getting a 2ms response over a 5ms? Or should I go for a 5ms 23" for a similar price instead?
2) I do plan on OCing the CPU (to 3.8-4.0), but I'll likely leave my RAM and GPU alone for now. Will the 650W PSU be sufficient or should I go for the 750W? What about if I plan on XFire?
3) Are there any glaring errors in my build? I feel like it's fairly solid, but I'll definitely consider other recommendations (especially for a cost reduction).
Sorry for the novel, but I wanted to try and give as much info as possible. Thanks for your help!
Thanks for the suggestions, I changed the monitor, HDD, and Mobo/CPU (already had the OS as a combo with my SSD).
However, I was looking at the Mobo specs, and the RAM I listed isn't on GIGABYTE's list of supported memory. However, I saw a review of the RAM that listed this same mobo and said it worked just fine. I'm not sure if I should be this nitpicky or not, but it was just something I was wondering about. As long as it would run 7-7-7-21 at 1333, I'd be just fine with it.
The RAM is fine. Yep, that CPU/mobo combo works too. Check out if the OCZ Vertex 2 isn't better (google: OCZ Vertex 2 vs agility 2) I don't know for sure but I think I remember that the V2 is better or something.