Issue with ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe

rily_wi_75

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
Looking for some guidance from anyone willing to help me out, I am having issue with my ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe board. Due to the fact there is no computer stores around for building gaming rigs, I pretty much have to rely on myself. That being said my tech skill will be much lower than most of you, so any step by steps or links would be helpful as well.

It is running fine except for:

Issue#
1. Will not come put of sleep mode properly, I get error code 62 “installation of the PHC runtime services”. From what I have been reading on the internet this seems to be a common problem. For now I have the sleep turned off.
2. Will not shut down properly either code 05 “OEM initialization before microcode loading”; I assume this maybe a byproduct of the 1st issue.
3. Not an issue per say, but I notice it double posts on start up.

Will updating the Bios help? I believe it currently has 0501.
I still have a week to RMA it, if anyone believes this is an issue where the board should be sent back.

Any help would be great.

Hardware:
ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe
Int i5 2500k
2 - GTX 560ti (SLI)
4g x 2 G.skill F3-12800cl9d
2 - Seagate 1TB st31000524as (raid 0)
HT Omega claro+R

Thanks

rily_wi_75

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
Out of the 3 ways is one better than the other, or would one be easier for me to accomplish...

ASUS update (windows)

ASUS EZ flash (USB Drive)

ASUS BIOS updater (DOS environment)

rily_wi_75

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
So I installed the newest bios update, reinstalled windows, drivers, etc..

It’s running much better, but still having A issue….

I thought everything was going great it was shutting down fine, it went into sleep mode , and came back out about 3 times I truly thought it was fixed.

I tried again later today after receiving a Windows 7 update (not that I think this is an issue). When I bought out of sleep mode it went to the log on screen, I put in the password and it started, but then powered off and cycled back on.

Restarted in safe mode, shut down, and fired it back up hoping it was a fluke.

It still shuts down fine (I have tried about fifty times after the incident) but When I try sleep mode (about thirty five times after the incident) It has gone into sleep mode and come back out every time with out a hitch…BUT I noticed every time it come out of sleep mode the LED error counter says “30” even though it came out of sleep mode, and will stay at 30 until I shut down and restart. The computer runs fine with the code showing, game, generic mem test, internet, even shuts down fine.

I know in the past 95%of the “30” code on ASUS board is fixed just by reseating the memory.

I guess if it was not for the LED I would never know anything is wrong with it, and I could turn off the sleep mode, but I kind of fear maybe there is an issue that might come back to haunt me later.

Any thoughts?

poseign

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
if you are still having these issues:

Double POST is due to the Marvel SATA controllers on the mobo (dark blue). If you are not using them, disable them in the BIOS. I cant remember the exact path, but somewhere in the advanced options under configuration settings, they will be listed as "Marvel storage controller" Disabling this will rid u of double post.

The issue with it not returning from sleep is due to the "PLL Overvoltage" setting. Default it is on Auto. Switching it to "Off" will allow the computer to resume from standby. All PLL Overvoltage does is allow more power to go to the processor, allowing for a larger overclock. Since this isnt nessesary for 90% of the users out there, you shouldnt miss it.

The issue with your computer not shutting down has me stumped. It's possible this has something to do with your HDD or windows installation and not your motherboard. I have not come across this issue myself, and would not know how to help you with it.

Hope this helps.

J

rgresh1

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
I have the p8z68 deluxe and had some weird issues like BSOD when shutting down recently but after installing the BIOS update for this board containing a fix labeled "System Stability" (which I think is 603) I believe I have been in the clear.

ko888's suggestion for upgrading the BIOS is probably the best but the easiest is probably (what I did) to just:
1. Install AI Suite II (CD that came with MoBo)
2. Go to asus.com and download the .zip BIOS update you want (I went for the most recent one that gave me a benefit -- 602).
3. Unzip the file which will explode a .ROM file.
4. Navigate to this in the AI Suite II Update program after selecting Update From File.

Following this process things have been stable. Running overnight stress test starting now.