Sign in with
Your question

Hd 4870 engineering sample

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 13, 2010 5:07:58 PM

so i bought this card off ebay several months ago listed as an oem hd 4870, when it got here i realized its not oem but an engineering sample . i was just wondering if there was anything unique about these cards.the card runs great and under gpuz it appears the same as a standard 4870
a c 172 U Graphics card
September 13, 2010 5:11:02 PM

engineering samples are usually the same as stock cards but they are rare none the less they are collectibles actually. Overall it should perform as any retail card for years to come if you maintain it.
a c 102 U Graphics card
September 13, 2010 6:41:29 PM

+1 Engineering samples are usually exactly the same as the retail card. The only thing that could be diff besides the graphic stickers on the shroud is that it might be a hand picked unit that will overclock higher then others but thats about it
Related resources
a c 355 U Graphics card
September 13, 2010 8:03:21 PM

Depending on what version of an engineering sample, it may include / exclude certain features.

Addtionally, power consumption could differ from an actual production reference model.

It can be worth money to someone who like to collect engineering samples since they are rare, but those people may be hard to come by. You can always post on e-bay to see if anyone bites.
a c 172 U Graphics card
September 13, 2010 10:07:33 PM

jaguarskx said:
Depending on what version of an engineering sample, it may include / exclude certain features.

Addtionally, power consumption could differ from an actual production reference model.

It can be worth money to someone who like to collect engineering samples since they are rare, but those people may be hard to come by. You can always post on e-bay to see if anyone bites.

People like me? OH yea I just picked up a Kyro 2 card for $25 after tax :whistle:  I over paid :pt1cable: 
a b U Graphics card
September 14, 2010 2:18:33 AM

You could always try contacting AMD and see if they'd give you a 5850 for its safe return :lol: 
September 14, 2010 11:15:17 AM

Quote:
You could always try contacting AMD and see if they'd give you a 5850 for its safe return :lol: 

I remember reading a fourm awhile back where someone said they had done somthing similar to this with an intel or nivida product (i cant remember which) do u think this is really a possibility?
a b U Graphics card
September 14, 2010 12:12:52 PM

No idea. My comment was based off of reading something like you did.
September 15, 2010 10:57:54 AM

thanks for all the info guys
September 15, 2010 11:00:08 AM

does anyone know anything about ati's policy on engineering samples? i may contact them and see what they say
a b U Graphics card
September 15, 2010 12:18:55 PM

Actually, they probably would not care. I had heard of Intel caring, but here is a thread where a person (claims, with pics) that AMD recruiting gave him and engineering sample as a prize. But, I still see no harm in inquiring about it, as the worst they can do is ignore you.

Is this what yours looks like?

http://www.overclock.net/ati/575499-just-won-4850-engin...
September 15, 2010 12:53:52 PM

yeah they dont care i acually contacted them and got a response very quickly this is it

"Engineering Samples are provided to testers prior to their release with restrictions until the product is released. After product release the testers may do what they wish with the cards."

AMD offers no warranty or support at all on these products.
September 15, 2010 1:00:23 PM

i think that picture is a 4850 mine is a 4870 id link a pic but i dont have a camera
a b U Graphics card
September 15, 2010 1:15:05 PM

Oops yep, that is a 4850.
!