Corsair 650hx or 650tx

kjs5932

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
i have finished my build ( the buying part), and now i'm looking at the final piece, the psu.

when i put together my computer last time, i just bought the cheapest psuy available on the market, but after reading around, i'm goning to get a good psu, and i've decided on a corsair and 650 watts.

i've seen 2 versions of this, the tx and hx, i know the basic differences of both, the hx is modular and tx isn't. and performance wise, i'm not too certain, some sites say hx is better, others say they are the same.

where i live (nz), the two psu are respectively 650tx - $158
650hx - $182,

so my question is whether the hx being modular is worth the extra 30 or so dollars, or if there is a performance difference, if the 30 extra is actually beneficial.

ps. i would get the modular, but i'm worried as i've heard that modulars are worse than non-modular due to resistance in the wires, etc. so which one would be better?

fjiekie

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
modular is a bit worse because of the resistance in the plugs, it's small though

on the other hand a modular one is better for airflow.

my opinion is that if you have a small case and not a lot of place to put the unused wires, you're better with modular.
if you have a big case with room to get rid of the extra wires (without obstructing the airflow) go with non-modular

(oh and if you're going to use every cable anyways, go for the non-modular(tx))

PreferLinux

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Well, just looking on PriceSpy, the TX has only the default 80+, whereas HX has bronze. Also, you're looking at more like $199 (HX) or $173.87 (TX) if you go to a reputable retailer. The best are Computer Lounge, Playtech, Techworld, Paradigm PCs and Ascent. They are the only ones I'd buy from.

kjs5932

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011

my case is 220mm(w) x 463mm(h) x 505mm(d), and chasis 200mm(w) x 420mm(h) x 450mm(d)

the case comes with a cpu cooler hole, so you can install a cpu cooler without haviong to take your mobo out, and i think i can store the excess wires there, not sure though.

think this will be big enough to not have the wires block air flow?

ps. i will post pictures later, if anyone wants to see it for closer inspection

The HX 650 is a newer one and is higher quality than the 650TX but both are quite good, another option to look into is the 650W units from XFX, they are seasonic built and perform quite well, in the US they tend to have a nice rebate on them which makes them a better deal than many other 650W units that are of equal or lesser quality.

kjs5932

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
Modular is just neat inside your case. Those you don't use you don't plug in.

OP if I might ask are you running a dual gpu setup or single and what gpu do you have?

i currently have a gts 250, but i am going to upgrade to a gtx 460 in 2 ~ 3 months.

i'm not going to sli, i have barely enough money to gtx 460 now and dont think ill be getting any cash any time soon.