Closed Solved

GTX 270s in SLI

I can't afford a new MB yet, or the RAM to go with it, so I'm trying to pimp my computer as much as possible for as little as possible for an upcoming LAN. I still have about two months to tool around.

I'm running an ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe with Phenom 9850 qc CPU. Right now I have an XFX 8800GTS that was smokin when I bought it like 4 years ago. I need to upgrade to win a 3D mark among my small group of friends. They'll be running faster CPUs and probably single 5850 or 5870 1G.

I have a line on some used GTX 275s superclocked (896mb). I've read they actually outperform the GTX 295 vanilla version. I know I'll be giving up DX11 for now, but that's okay. I just want to know whether my MB and CPU will take advantage of them. I can get the for about $200.

Thanks in advance.
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 270s
  1. Sure, but I think the bigger question is if your PSU can handle the cards. Personally, I wouldn't bother getting GTX 275s these days but it's still a viable card.
  2. skolpo said:
    Sure, but I think the bigger question is if your PSU can handle the cards. Personally, I wouldn't bother getting GTX 275s these days but it's still a viable card.

Ahh, good point. I forgot to mention, I have and Antec 850W ready to go. From what I read, I think that will do. I'd prefer a 1000w, but this was free.
  3. You should be fine then. Just OC that CPU.
  4. Best answer
    I'd say that generally your CPU would be holding those cards back. Just depends on the game, settings, and resolution though. For just $200 though it's a great upgrade so I say go for it :D. Overclocking your CPU will certainly help, but the original Phenoms don't go to far. You could drop a Phenom II 945 into your board (after a BIOS update) and overclock it. Not sure why your board doesn't support the 125W Phenom IIs.
  5. Thank you. At least it gives me options. I know a 5850 would be an inexpensive and "smart" choice, but if I simply want to win the 3dmark contest, the 275 in SLI should to it. And yeah, OC'ing the CPU is a good idea. Haven't tooled with that kind of stuff much.
  6. megamanx00 said:
    I'd say that generally your CPU would be holding those cards back. Just depends on the game, settings, and resolution though. For just $200 though it's a great upgrade so I say go for it :D. Overclocking your CPU will certainly help, but the original Phenoms don't go to far. You could drop a Phenom II 945 into your board (after a BIOS update) and overclock it. Not sure why your board doesn't support the 125W Phenom IIs.

Hey Mega,

If I can pick up a Phenom II 945 and o/c it, can I stick with my current heat sinc or will i have to upgrade?
  7. Best answer selected by Copelander.
  8. Depends on the heatsink you have. You should be able to get a decent overclock out of it with any good heatsink. Of course, it's best to get the best cooler you can fit into your case :D.
  9. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Nvidia Gtx Graphics