Status
Not open for further replies.

Copelander

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
I can't afford a new MB yet, or the RAM to go with it, so I'm trying to pimp my computer as much as possible for as little as possible for an upcoming LAN. I still have about two months to tool around.

I'm running an ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe with Phenom 9850 qc CPU. Right now I have an XFX 8800GTS that was smokin when I bought it like 4 years ago. I need to upgrade to win a 3D mark among my small group of friends. They'll be running faster CPUs and probably single 5850 or 5870 1G.

I have a line on some used GTX 275s superclocked (896mb). I've read they actually outperform the GTX 295 vanilla version. I know I'll be giving up DX11 for now, but that's okay. I just want to know whether my MB and CPU will take advantage of them. I can get the for about $200.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
I'd say that generally your CPU would be holding those cards back. Just depends on the game, settings, and resolution though. For just $200 though it's a great upgrade so I say go for it :D. Overclocking your CPU will certainly help, but the original Phenoms don't go to far. You could drop a Phenom II 945 into your board (after a BIOS update) and overclock it. Not sure why your board doesn't support the 125W Phenom IIs.

Copelander

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010

Ahh, good point. I forgot to mention, I have and Antec 850W ready to go. From what I read, I think that will do. I'd prefer a 1000w, but this was free.

I'd say that generally your CPU would be holding those cards back. Just depends on the game, settings, and resolution though. For just $200 though it's a great upgrade so I say go for it :D. Overclocking your CPU will certainly help, but the original Phenoms don't go to far. You could drop a Phenom II 945 into your board (after a BIOS update) and overclock it. Not sure why your board doesn't support the 125W Phenom IIs.

Solution

Copelander

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
Thank you. At least it gives me options. I know a 5850 would be an inexpensive and "smart" choice, but if I simply want to win the 3dmark contest, the 275 in SLI should to it. And yeah, OC'ing the CPU is a good idea. Haven't tooled with that kind of stuff much.

Copelander

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010

Hey Mega,

If I can pick up a Phenom II 945 and o/c it, can I stick with my current heat sinc or will i have to upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.