Sign in with
Your question

My Seagate External Hard Drive is making clicking noises and won't connect to th

Last response: in Storage
February 13, 2013 5:18:02 AM

My Seagate External Hard Drive isnt connecting to my computer. Even though it turns on I hear this clicking noise for a few seconds. Then it turns off for a bit but then turns back on but I could tell it isn't running properly, what should I do?
a c 79 G Storage
February 13, 2013 6:11:48 AM

The drive is damaged. The clicking noise is the sound of the read/write head trying to free itself from the platter where it's trapped. This will almost certainly have damaged the head and the platter because they should never touch each other.

If it's still covered by warranty, contact Seagate about returning it for a replacement. Personally I have no respect for Seagate external drives. Three of them have failed on me in the past 2 years.

My WD drives have been much more reliable.
m
l
May 27, 2013 1:26:25 PM

phil22 said:
The drive is damaged. The clicking noise is the sound of the read/write head trying to free itself from the platter where it's trapped. This will almost certainly have damaged the head and the platter because they should never touch each other.

If it's still covered by warranty, contact Seagate about returning it for a replacement. Personally I have no respect for Seagate external drives. Three of them have failed on me in the past 2 years.

My WD drives have been much more reliable.

I have a brand new WD 2 tb harddrive. I mean brand new have had it for two weeks maybe, but I literally just took it out of the box for the first time today and was transferring files onto it for an hour or so. I got to a file that was 30+ gb and it just stopped copying the file over. So I rebooted and tried again, and then it was taking 10 minutes+ to copy files that were only 100 mb or so. So I rebooted and tried a third time and the computer wouldn't recognize it at all and began making the clicking noise every 2 or 3 seconds. I didn't do a thing other than take it out of the box and placed it on the desk and connected it to the computer. So I don't know if WD drives are anything to swear by.
m
l
Related resources
September 12, 2013 12:45:38 AM

Its your power supply on pc or the external HDD power supply is low... been having same prob wen i connect mine to pc, untill i unplug a usb keyboard or my usb wifi stick, the HDD starts up.... time to upgrade PSU... hope this helps :) 
let me know if all goes well : romlanco213 @ h o t m a i l . c o m
m
l
February 12, 2014 5:39:34 AM

romlanco said:
Its your power supply on pc or the external HDD power supply is low... been having same prob wen i connect mine to pc, untill i unplug a usb keyboard or my usb wifi stick, the HDD starts up.... time to upgrade PSU... hope this helps :) 
let me know if all goes well : romlanco213 @ h o t m a i l . c o m

Thank you so much! I had connected my external to a USB extension and heard the clicking. Thought for sure the drive had died! After reading this, I connected it directly to the computer and the drive started right up!

Thanks again!

m
l
!