Sign in with
Your question
Solved

HELP no motherboard drivers!!

Last response: in Motherboards
September 29, 2011 3:07:54 AM

I need to install drivers on my new Asus motherboard but can't use the disk it came with because I would have to use command prompt to activate it and I'm not too good with CL. I've already uninstalled all the old motherboard drivers from the HD (BTW my HD doesn't show up in my BIOS either). So my question is how do I install all the motherboard drivers from support disk and why isn't my HD being detected by my BIOS?

More about : motherboard drivers

September 29, 2011 3:15:57 AM

Oh I should probably mention this is the very first time I am building a computer from the ground up.
m
l
a c 111 V Motherboard
September 30, 2011 1:25:25 AM

Let's start with your HDD problem. If you're using a SATA HDD, try switching SATA ports. If you're using an IDE HDD, you may have to change a few settings in the BIOS, like IDE Legacy.

Next, install Windows (hopefully you've got Windows 7). Once the OS is installed, you can then pop in your motherboard disc, but I would only install the audio and network drivers. Anything else, you should get the latest versions from the manufacturer's website.
m
l
Related resources
September 30, 2011 1:54:27 AM

I've already tried switching SATA ports and making different settings in the BIOS like having the IDE option enabled and making sure auto detection was on. I have Windows Vista installed on the HDD and I'm using a retail boot disk I bought off of Ebay to try and start it but nothing comes up. I fear this is because my motherboard still does not detect the HDD.
m
l
a c 111 V Motherboard
September 30, 2011 7:01:12 PM

Have you tried using a different SATA power and/or SATA data cable?
m
l
September 30, 2011 10:45:03 PM

Yes I have tried different SATA power connector and cables, is there any device I can use to be sure my HD is still working such as a multimeter?
m
l
a c 111 V Motherboard
October 1, 2011 1:35:32 AM

what is the make and model of your HDD?
m
l
October 1, 2011 3:40:05 AM

It's a Samsung hd321hj
m
l
a c 111 V Motherboard
October 4, 2011 9:15:44 PM

Have you verified that your HDD is compatible with your mobo? Are there any BIOS updates available?
m
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
October 4, 2011 9:36:39 PM

also - might want to check the power cable to the HDD. do you hear the HDD spin up?

T_T, he should be able to see the HDD no matter what, BIOS update or not.. That hdd is a generic HDD, should be seen by everything.

Marasisa, when you say you HDD is not being detect by your bios, where in the BIOS are you going to check it?
October 4, 2011 11:22:31 PM

I am checking in the very first tab of the BIOS where it lists the PATA IDE ports and the SATA ports, there are six of them. At first I feared the ports weren't working, but I plugged the CD-Rom drive in the first port I had been using and it came up.

No I cannot hear the HDD spin up, I'm afraid it's not working anymore, although I don't know what I could've done to ruin it. I've checked all the cables they seem to work fine. I bought another HD, however I don't want to plug it in without being sure the one I have isn't shot.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 5, 2011 1:11:05 PM

swap power from CD-Rom to HDD.. maybe a bad molex connector?
m
l
October 5, 2011 1:30:40 PM

Did not use molex, just sata. The same exact connectors used to plug in my HD.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 5, 2011 2:17:51 PM

ok.. either way.. can you swap power cords from your cdrom to your hdd? maybe you have a bad power adapter.
m
l
a c 111 V Motherboard
October 5, 2011 7:05:42 PM

Is it possible for you to install the troublesome HDD on another mobo? For instance, try installing the HDD on the mobo of the computer you're using to post your messages here.
m
l
October 5, 2011 7:10:00 PM

I have done that and it does not appear in the bios of that one either.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 5, 2011 7:15:26 PM

uh oh bro.. looks like we got a dead hard drive.
m
l
October 5, 2011 7:49:53 PM

Lol, yep I received my new HD today and plugged it in, and the bios detected it. I'm thinking my mystery is solved.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 5, 2011 8:49:01 PM

good job. be sure to mark best answer for points!
m
l
October 6, 2011 12:52:16 AM

Best answer selected by marasisa_88.
m
l
!