Mobo and Memory Compatibility for New Build

tpk1108

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
Hi Everyone!! First post at tom's Hardware :)

***** CAUTION***** LONG POST *****

After a two months of research online, I gathered information about the latest components and hardware developments. I am in the process of acquiring components for a new build, finalized on almost everything as follows:

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k (To run Adobe Creative Suite, Autocad, 3Ds Max and Flash Builder Simultaneously)

Motherboard: Asus Maximus4 Gene-Z (I Like the ROG theme and the features in this small m-Atx format, also the ASUS BIOS is :pt1cable: Legendary!!!!! )

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4*4GB (Specifically Part No: CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9) (Got the Ram pretty cheap)

PSU: Corsair 850AX (Possible SLI in the near Future)

GPU: MSI GTX580 (Cheapest 580 I could get, so that I can modify it for water cooling in Future)

Case:Cooler Master HAF 932/NZXT Phantom

Note: The above setup is for the applications mentioned and also for quite some heavy gaming at 1080P. I have a Samsung 27" monitor.

Now comes the confusion: Even though I was careful, I made the mistake of not checking the compatibility of ram on the mobo list!! and now when I check it, the mobo is not listed in the RAM list and neither is the Ram mentioned in the mobo compatibility list.

Since I am yet to purchase the processor and mobo, I am wondering if I have to be cautious and buy a mobo (and hence the processor) from the list mentioned on the Ram compatibility chart.

If that is the case, I'll have to go towards Asus Crosshair V Formula (and hence AMD Processor :cry: ) in order to stick with the ROG theme!!

This being my first build ever, if anyone can advice me accordingly, I'd grateful!!

Solution
Regarding the RAM, hmm if it were 'me' I would send them back. Otherwise, manually set the DRAM Frequency, CAS Timings, and DRAM Voltage per spec. Followed by extensive Memtest86+ (4-passes or more/overnight) and Prime95 + Blend (overnight), regardless, and especially since you're rendering.

Regarding the 850W PSU, even if you leave the GPU's stock and only OC the CPU you really need a 950W+. Calculate for yourself -> http://www.corsair.com/psufinder/ The problems you run into using GTX 580 in SLI or anytime the PSU is running hard: 1. PSU Efficiency goes down, 2. PSU runs too hot and noisy, 3. Lost Rendering because the GPU(s) are being starved, 4. Reduced longevity of PSU, 5. Unnecessary Stability Risks, 6. Blowing the PSU and...
Welcome to Toms Forum! :)

Some people like mATX but those that do generally NEVER get a FULL SIZED CASE!!! Puny MOBO is big a$$ case.

IF you can wait then IMO the LGA 2011 / SB-E makes the most sense for Rendering and they should be available in mid-November or 6 weeks.

Changes:

MOBO - GA-Z68XP-UD5 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128513 or GA-P67A-UD7-B3 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128480

RAM - don't get individul sticks, get a fully matched and guaranteed 4x4GB Set - CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 Model CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233143

PSU - 1000W~1200W depending on if you OC the CPU and GPU's in SLI. My preferences are Corsair, Enermax, SeaSonic, SilverStone, or Thermaltake.

GPU - the EVGA makes the best nVidia GPUs and many models offer a Lifetime Warranty - EVGA 015-P3-1580-AR GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130587

CASES - I tend to steer clear of the 'debate', but the CM have awful hot-swap bays and if needed I prefer the Corsair Obsidian Series.

tpk1108

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011

Jaquith, That is a nice build you have suggested. Thank you. Since waiting isn't an option for me (looking to get done with this build by the first week of October), I should be going ahead with this sandy bridge build.

So, I will definitely take a look at the mobo mentioned by you. As for the case, Corsair Obsidian is a great choice, however, they seem to be awfully costly here (India -Oops! forgot to mention in the original post).

(800D with Asus Maximus4 Extreme Z68 was my first choice, but ruled it out because I did not want to invest a lot and end up reading about a new platform releasing just the next day after completing the build :) )

Coming to the RAM, since I already have those sticks, Will I not be able to use it without changing the mobo? Is there no other option? :( I do understand that sticks made to work in dual channel as kits would work better, but does that mean that the ones I have now aren't compatible at all?

Also, I already have the MSI GTX 580 and hence I'll have to stick with it for now. Definitely getting a Corsair PSU, But since I am looking only into moderate overclocking the CPU and not the GPU or RAM, isn't 850W sufficient?

Thanks for the advice.

Regarding the RAM, hmm if it were 'me' I would send them back. Otherwise, manually set the DRAM Frequency, CAS Timings, and DRAM Voltage per spec. Followed by extensive Memtest86+ (4-passes or more/overnight) and Prime95 + Blend (overnight), regardless, and especially since you're rendering.

Regarding the 850W PSU, even if you leave the GPU's stock and only OC the CPU you really need a 950W+. Calculate for yourself -> http://www.corsair.com/psufinder/ The problems you run into using GTX 580 in SLI or anytime the PSU is running hard: 1. PSU Efficiency goes down, 2. PSU runs too hot and noisy, 3. Lost Rendering because the GPU(s) are being starved, 4. Reduced longevity of PSU, 5. Unnecessary Stability Risks, 6. Blowing the PSU and risking damage to other components being damaged, etc... I.E. No upside - all bad - I would send it back.

Solution

tpk1108

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011

Whoa!! That a lot of downside!!! Definitely sending the psu back!! Then in this case, I'll probably try get a 1000-12000W PSU as you suggested.

With the RAM, I don't have the option of sending it back or exchanging the stuff. (Weird : "Goods once sold cannot be returned or exchanged unless DOA" Policy in India). Hence I'll first try running the stress tests you mentioned above and then probably go for a different kit if required. (I hate doing this :( Got that 16GB Ram for the price of a 4GB)

Thanks for the insight!!

Again, just set the RAM Frequency -> DDR3-1600MHz, CAS Timings 9-9-9-24-2N the 2N is the Command Rate, and DRAM Voltage -> 1.50v~1.55v (1.55 if there's a failure) and IF needed the VCCIO -> 1.15v~1.20v (again if failure the VCCIO is the CPU IMC voltage and sometimes in 16GB is needed).

Good Luck! :)

BTW - IF you have problems then start another post and/or send me a Private Message and I'll help you.