Additional (good) graphics card = random restart

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • New Build
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
September 13, 2010 8:44:10 PM

Hey all,
After recently establishing that my new build was in working order (stress tests, MEMTEST, etc.), I added an additional EVGA 9800 GT and put it in SLI with the existing card (same exact one). I then experienced random restarts when playing games. I checked the temps (they were fine) and even opened the case and placed a fan pointing between the two cards just to be sure - no luck. I also tried running the game with each card individually - they both work fine. But as soon as they are together, I get random restarts. Currently I am running just one and have had no problems. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

More about : additional good graphics card random restart

a c 1647 U Graphics card
September 13, 2010 11:01:20 PM

Could be that your PSU is lacking on power!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 14, 2010 12:11:28 AM

System specs please
m
l
Related resources
a c 197 U Graphics card
September 14, 2010 2:48:43 AM

We need more info here, buddy... :) 
m
l
September 14, 2010 3:47:41 PM

Haha ok sorry, I'd hoped it would be an easy fix and I could get away without listing it but here goes...

PSU: Thermaltake 750W, single 12V rail with 56 amp current rating
CPU: Core i7 930
Mobo: ASUS P6X58D Premium
RAM: 3X 2GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-8-7-24 (tripple channel mode)
Drives (all on SATA II):
Boot: Corsair 32GB SSD
Secondary: WD 500GB and Seagate Barracuda 500GB (=1TB total)
Optical: ASUS DVD+-R etc
Graphics: 1X EVGA GeForce 9800GT 512MB (PCIE)
(hopefully soon 2X - the other card is identical)

Also there are 2 monitors connected.

Hope I didn't forget anything. Thanks again.

m
l
a c 1647 U Graphics card
September 14, 2010 8:50:39 PM

If the PSU is working properly that is not the issue!
You have the latest drivers installed?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 14, 2010 9:07:36 PM

Have you tried flashing the BIOS to the latest version? If you still get problems after that i'd lean towards PSU problems.
m
l
a c 124 U Graphics card
September 14, 2010 10:13:27 PM

The PSU specs are good enough, but the problem does seem like a PSU issue.

As mentioned, make sure you have latest drivers and also latest mobo BIOS, plus chipset drivers and that sort of thing. You can check which drivers are outdated with programs like Driver Detective (this one at least will let you scan for free, then you can google them. I bought full version and it works well)
m
l
September 15, 2010 4:49:15 PM

Yup latest everything as far as drivers/BIOS goes. Any ideas (aside from swapping out) as to how I can test to see if it is the PSU?
Is it at all possible that some voltage setting is too low? For instance, in the past I have had to up my northbridge voltage (not same machine of course) after installing additional DIMMS...
m
l
a c 124 U Graphics card
September 15, 2010 5:08:16 PM

Hmm maybe, if anything I guess a little more VTT might help. What stability testing did you do, exactly, to determine it's fine?

Could be, perhaps, a bad PCIe lane. If you can try a different lane, give that a shot.
m
l