Sign in with
Your question

HUB USB - Can I do it?

Last response: in Components
January 28, 2011 12:16:50 PM

Hi

I'm thinking on buying a HUB USB to try and plug both external drives with media player and wii to my laptop. The point of this is to try and avoid to disconnect the usb cables every time I need to update contents to both hard drives and also make the hard drives available to wii and media player.

I'll explain:

The general idea is to whenever I need to add files to any of both hard drives, I could use only one connect point, a loose cable were I can plug my laptop and access both drives. This is easy with circuit 2 and a USB HUB.
The complex part is to make both disks to interact with both media player and wii. I also want to turn on media player and wii and they could find their respective hard drive to access. What I currently do is whenever I want to add a tv show/movie to the media player I must to plug my laptop to the hard drive and then add the files. Then I unplug the hard drive from my laptop and plug the hard drive to media player and watch the tv show.

So what I'm asking is:
1) Do you think that a common USB HUB could do such a thing?
2) If not, do have any suggestions to my problem?

Thanks!

More about : hub usb

January 29, 2011 3:50:40 AM

Hello and welcome to THG.

Seems like your schematics will work. From my use around HUBs, they can handle multi-use coordination, however, one device at a time for the computer.
January 12, 2013 6:58:47 AM

amon293 said:
Hi

I'm thinking on buying a HUB USB to try and plug both external drives with media player and wii to my laptop. The point of this is to try and avoid to disconnect the usb cables every time I need to update contents to both hard drives and also make the hard drives available to wii and media player.

I'll explain:

http://i51.tinypic.com/34hb6fd.jpg

The general idea is to whenever I need to add files to any of both hard drives, I could use only one connect point, a loose cable were I can plug my laptop and access both drives. This is easy with circuit 2 and a USB HUB.
The complex part is to make both disks to interact with both media player and wii. I also want to turn on media player and wii and they could find their respective hard drive to access. What I currently do is whenever I want to add a tv show/movie to the media player I must to plug my laptop to the hard drive and then add the files. Then I unplug the hard drive from my laptop and plug the hard drive to media player and watch the tv show.

So what I'm asking is:
1) Do you think that a common USB HUB could do such a thing?
2) If not, do have any suggestions to my problem?

Thanks!

Can you please tell me, did this work and do you know if it would work without the PC connected if it was a powered USB hub?
!