SSD pricepoint/future build question

foolycooly

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
I have been in the market for an SSD for some time now and am trying to figure out the best way to go about getting one. I currently have an ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 running an i7 920. This board only supports 3gb/s SATA so I was thinking about just getting a mid-range drive like the 840 in a moderate capacity (250gb). I figured this would be better than getting something like the 840 pro or Vector in 128gb since I would not be able to fully utilize the speed without 6GB SATA.

However, I plan on building a new system around the time when Haswell is released. I am looking for some thoughts on going with a high quality 128gb drive now and using it as a cache in the new system vs. going with a 250gb+ mid range drive now and just transferring it over to the new system as a boot/system drive.

Along the same lines, can anyone explain how exactly the newer motherboards utilize small SSD drives for caching? My terminology may be incorrect.

Thanks.

popatim

Titan
caching ssd's are only usefull in caching HDD's as there is no speed boost in caching an SSD. If you are planing a larger SSD like 128gb+ then theres no point in even considering using it to cache a HDD. The SSD will be plenty big enough to load windows and a bunch of programs on.