SONY B Series - Please Help!!!

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
January 19, 2005 2:15:48 PM

Hello there,

I'm planning to buy a portable business laptop. My configuration would
look something like this:

Pentium M 725 or 735 (2 MB Cache)
~14" display (SXGA+)
1GB RAM
60GB HDD
CD-RW/DVD Combo
~5 lbs

I'm not able to decide what I should buy. Many say that IBM T-series
laptops are the best, but this configuration comes to more than $3000.
I've been looking at the SONY B series laptops and this configuration,
with a 2-year accidental damage protection warranty (I had to opt for
this because of the extremely bad reviews I read about their customer
service) comes to about $2500. I like the design and the SONY
screens(although I'm not sure about this laptop since it does not have
XBRITE), but I'm still a bit confused if I should go for this. Are
there any other laptops in this price range with the same
configuration? The weight is very important to me since I travel a lot.
Also would 64MB of shared video memory perform much different than 64MB
of dedicated memory given that I have 1GB of RAM? Any comments will be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

More about : sony series

January 19, 2005 4:25:01 PM

JHEM wrote:

> You can come very close to the specification you've listed with the
Thinkpad
> T42 model 2378-FVU which is presently on sale from IBM for less than
$1.5K

Thanks for the reply...I looked at this model..Looks like it starts
from $1649. Is there a coupon or something that I should apply?

> Comes with the PentiumM 735 (1.7GHz) you desire as well as the 14"
SXGA+
> display. The only areas it's deficient are in memory and HD size,
both of
> which can be corrected if necessary for relatively little outlay.

I'm able to change my memory size but not the HD - is it a fixed size?
A minimum of 60GB is a must for me. How is that a "build your own
model" costs much more than this?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 19, 2005 10:51:25 PM

Oxy wrote:

> I'm not able to decide what I should buy. Many say that IBM T-series
> laptops are the best, but this configuration comes to more than $3000.

You can come very close to the specification you've listed with the Thinkpad
T42 model 2378-FVU which is presently on sale from IBM for less than $1.5K

Comes with the PentiumM 735 (1.7GHz) you desire as well as the 14" SXGA+
display. The only areas it's deficient are in memory and HD size, both of
which can be corrected if necessary for relatively little outlay.

Regards,

James
a b D Laptop
January 20, 2005 1:59:20 AM

Oxy wrote:
> JHEM wrote:
>
>> You can come very close to the specification you've listed with the
>> Thinkpad T42 model 2378-FVU which is presently on sale from IBM for
>> less than $1.5K
>
> Thanks for the reply...I looked at this model..Looks like it starts
> from $1649. Is there a coupon or something that I should apply?

https://www-132.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Categ...

If you use a major credit card to make the purchase you can receive a
substantial discount. The above is the page for MasterCard users IIRC.

> I'm able to change my memory size but not the HD - is it a fixed size?
> A minimum of 60GB is a must for me.

You can pick up a 60GB Hitachi 7K60 HD from either Newegg.com or
Zipzoomfly.com for less than $150. Sell the 5K40 HD the unit comes with on
eBay.

> How is that a "build your own model" costs much more than this?

Because these are units pre-built to a "standard" by IBM on spec. If you
want to change anything on one of them, they penalize you.

Regards,

James
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 20, 2005 6:22:51 AM

"Oxy" <cee.deep@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello there,
>...Are there any other laptops in this price range with the same
> configuration? The weight is very important to me since I travel a lot.
> Also would 64MB of shared video memory perform much different than 64MB
> of dedicated memory given that I have 1GB of RAM? Any comments will be
> greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks.

The Dell Inspiron 600m or Dell Latitude D600 both fit. They are more
similar to the IBM T42 than to the Sony, in that they have dedicated
graphics, not integrated graphics. They can also be fitted with a true
docking station. I travel a lot and found this configuration to be the
smallest that will provide the capability I need. Either the T42 or the
Dell 600 would both be great for your needs if you need a decent-sized
screen and keyboard and fast graphics.

If you don't need top graphics capabilities and can live with the smaller
displays and keyboards, the 12" machines are definitely more portable. I'd
look at the IBM X series or the Dell 700m if the wide-aspect appeals to you.
!