"HyperTransport Watchdog Timeout Error" (0x00000124 code BSOD)

zyxel

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2011
Hi all

First of all, sorry for my low capacity to express myself in english. I hope that you can understand my message despite that.

Well, I will explain my problem from the beginning (the important thing is at the end, I will also explain another problem I have with the pc, because I want to know if it is related with the BSOD):

Some months ago, I had a very extrange problem with the PC. It happened one time and in the next day the computer ran well. About two months after that, it happened again and, after turning off the case fans, it ran well again
After that, I changed all my computer components except the MoBo, RAM, HD and DVD Reader. But some days ago it happened again, and it was solved by changing the SATA connector of the HD

The problem I am talking you about consists of that the windows animations/clock/all applications runs extremely fast (the clock ticks one minute every second, the animations run extremely fast, etc (all in the windows was "overclocked"))

Well, now I will explain the BSOD problem: yesterday, when I was watching a video in megavideo, the screen went black and the sound looped, and some seconds ago the computer restarted. After rebooting, in the event registry I saw that error reports (I will traduce because I have windows in spanish):

first error report:

Blue Screen code:
0x00000124 (0x0000000000000000, 0xfffffa80050308f8, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000).

second error report:

A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Component: AMD Northbridge
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: HyperTransport Watchdog Timeout Error
Processor ID: 0

The details view of this entry contains further information.

I have been a lot of time searching that error in google and I found that it is a hardware error

I have to say that my motherboard has 2 broken MLCC capacitors near the socket, it might be related with that

Please help me, I am very worried and also very confused, I need to know how to find out which is the broken component of my pc(testing applications are reliable?), and what have caused that.

Thanks in advance

My pc specs:

motherboard: Asus M3A78-EM (old)

processor: Phenom II 1090T (new)

graphics card: Radeon HD 5870 (new)

RAM: Kingston 2x1gb DDR2 800 (old)

HD: Seagate 500GB (old)

PSU: Nox 1000W (new)

if it is needed some more information about my pc to help me please let me know.

Its your mobo. The capacitors that are broken normally means something will not be getting proper voltages and it looks like its the northbridge. The northbridge connects the CPU to the rest of the components (HDD, GPU etc) so if its getting too much or too little voltage it will cause weird issues.

Your only hope is to get either a new one of the same mobo ro a new mobo that supports your CPU and reinstall Windows.

zyxel

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2011
Yip its your mobo.

Everything runs fast. How fast are they running? Did it speed up the pc or is it slowing other down?

It runs about 60x faster than normal time I think (I saw the clock and it ticked a minute every second aprox.) Everything in windows (not in bios) run at that speed. I dont know how to explain that. Its like if you put the Cheat Engine Speedhack at x60 in all the windows.

are you sure that it is the MoBo? This is good news if this is true, because the mobo is old and I dont mind changing it.

PD: Interesting update: I have noticed that it crashes (and I get the same error messages) everytime I see a HQ video in megavideo... what do you think about that?

As I said before the error you are getting is linked to the HyperTransport which is the link that AMDs CPUs use to communicate with the northbridge, the PCIe lanes and such. If the mobo has capacitors going bad and the voltage is not regulating properly it can cause crashes when trying to communicate with the video, memory or anything.

I am more than 100% sure that your mobo is causing the issues. Get a new one and install Windows fresh and I am sure you wont have the problems anymore.

zyxel

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2011
I already have installed a new MoBo!!

Now I must see a video in megavideo to see if the problem is solved, not? I am afraid of getting the BSOD if I do that... xd

zyxel

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2011
[SOLVED]

Thanks you very much for your advice!!! I have changed the mobo and the problem is already solved!

PD: dadiggle I would never dare to do that XD, and the broken capacitors are VERY VERY VERY small (it was hard to see them, so desolder it would be impossible xD)