Solved

New E8400 stuck at 2ghz x6 multiplier.



I have a dell inspiron 530 with a 0RY007 mobo.

I tried turning off speed step in my bios but i couldnt find it.

Can anyone help me? Thanks.

Also i am running Windows 7
23 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about e8400 stuck 2ghz multiplier
  1. There should be an option for it in BIOS!
    Well without disabling speed step you will have to live with the low speed at idle, does it clock up under load.
  2. update bios and reset cmos
  3. apache_lives said:
    update bios and reset cmos


    Can you help me with doing that?

    I have no idea where to start.
  4. rolli59 said:
    There should be an option for it in BIOS!
    Well without disabling speed step you will have to live with the low speed at idle, does it clock up under load.


    To the original poster
    That question "Does it clock up (speed up) under load (heavy usage)?"
    has to be answered.
    If it is speeding up under load then it is fine.
    My cpu sits at 1.6ghz idle then goes up to 2.4ghz when used.
    It is supposed to do that.
    That is the whole idea of Speedstep
    It is a good thing.
    Especially when you get your electric bill LOL
  5. king smp said:
    To the original poster
    That question "Does it clock up (speed up) under load (heavy usage)?"
    has to be answered.
    If it is speeding up under load then it is fine.
    My cpu sits at 1.6ghz idle then goes up to 2.4ghz when used.
    It is supposed to do that.
    That is the whole idea of Speedstep
    It is a good thing.
    Especially when you get your electric bill LOL


    In the picture it shows it already. My CPU is under 100% usage and it does not clock up still.
  6. Its a Phoenix Award Bios version 1.0.5 and no the option isnt there i checked everywhere.
  7. Best answer
    Quote:
    I know speedstep is a power saving feature but its not suppose to interfere with your processor workload or dropping you processors performance which has a hit on your performance when running apps etc.

    Go to windows power management first and set it to the performance setting.

    Then go to Dells site and look for a bios upgrade and a update for your chipset.


    To the OP
    Dadiggle gave great advice.
    first try changing start menu-control panel-power settings-set to performance
    do a restart and try cpuz again (i acually like Coretemp better for monitoring cpu speeds
    if THAT doesnt work
    here is a
    link to dell support for drivers
    http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&os=WW1&osl=en&SystemID=INSP_DSKTP_D530&catid=-1&impid=-1
    not sure of your windows version
    download and run the .exe file follow instructions
    carefull that the power doesnt go out while updating bios
    remove unncecessary usb device besides keyboard and mouse
    Try what he said above and report back.
  8. king smp said:
    To the OP
    Dadiggle gave great advice.
    first try changing start menu-control panel-power settings-set to performance
    do a restart and try cpuz again (i acually like Coretemp better for monitoring cpu speeds
    if THAT doesnt work
    here is a
    link to dell support for drivers
    http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&os=WW1&osl=en&SystemID=INSP_DSKTP_D530&catid=-1&impid=-1
    not sure of your windows version
    download and run the .exe file follow instructions
    carefull that the power doesnt go out while updating bios
    remove unncecessary usb device besides keyboard and mouse
    Try what he said above and report back.


    Running windows 7 ultimate 64 bit.
  9. Ok good news and bad news. I updated the bios and now the speed in CPU-Z occasionally shoots up to 3ghz and 9x multiplier. The bad news is in SPEEDFAN its showing temp 1 as 84c now...
  10. Im confused about your other post. Set the temp devider to 2? This 84c temp is high and dangerous isnt it?
  11. im sorry i dont know what you are telling me to do. how will configuring speed fan help me lower that temp? Also the chip thats 84c is IT8718f
  12. speedfan was great BACK IN ITS DAY...
    Try everest home edition, hwmonitor, coretemp google them
    Speedfan misreports newer sensors
    Dells are tricky with sensors as Dadiggle said
    On my Optiplex 745 the Pentium D wouldnt show anything BUT
    when I swapped in a Core2Duo HWmonitor and Coretemp worked but everest
    doesnt show.
    Speedfan is necessary when you want to control fan speed.
    HWMonitor and Coretemp work better for me personally with my dell.
    Try all of them and compare temps between them.
    Sometimes the programs will try to read a sensor that really doesnt exist...
    both your core temps on Speedfan are good so I wouldnt worry about :)
  13. looking at the speedfan closer
    one vcore1 is 1.10v and the vcore 2 is 3.0v (voltage to chip)
    Right there that tells you if that was true your computer wouldnt work LOL
    Just look at the readings on these temp programs compared to each other
    and pick the one with the most accurate.
    I like HW monitor the best for temps
  14. Quote:
    jeez king you can smell a dell a mile away lol


    of all the computers my customers bring me to my shop most are Dells with a few HP/Compaqs and Emachines (yuck) plus
    I have had a tendency on buying them used cheap for myself (business class dells like optiplex and precision are plentiful and cheap plus for OEM they "dont suck as bad" usually a little better parts than the average home tower.
  15. Quote:
    yeah lol i notice on the optiplex it just picks up the hdd temp. theres no voltages nor temps reading in dells bios. Thats so stupid from them


    the PentD doesnt read but the C2D does
    I think the C2D has thermal sensors on die while older cpus
    would have them on Mobo.
    Of course Dell didnt spec them to have them on alot of their mobos
    My old Precision 450 had alot of sensors but of course in 2004 that was
    a 4000-5000 dollar dual cpu workstation so Dell was kinda
    of forced into it.
    And remember the Inspiron took over for the Dimension series which are
    home user based product lines.
    Optiplex are business class dekstops and Precision are workstation class.
    XPS are gamer based
  16. good point
    Some of the XPS have some OCing features but overall spending
    the money for an X CPU Dell tower is useless.
    It is just done for marketing purposes.
    Though if you can find a "unfixable" customer tower being scrapped/recycled with one it
    and pull it to put it into a "real motherboard" then that is a Good Thing :)
  17. Quote:
    They even lock some features on the onboard audio away. Once they get hold of a chipset you can expect nothing but trouble upgrading it. If you do so do it quick after a year of purchuse once it gets beyond 2 years your hourglass is running out


    I havent run across that.
    I usually get a 24bit discrete sound card for my towers
    since I use the tower for recording and mixing (guitar, keyboard, vocals)
    I am waiting to sell some parts off so I can get a low profile card for the 745
    Found some decent ones under $50
  18. also it is like cars
    some people need a car to go to work and grocery shopping
    and buy a Ford Focus or Honda Civic
    some people need it to do a little more and get a Civic Si
    Other people go to race tracks and build a supercharged
    Mustang from the body up
    Me for example I needed a cheap upgrade (low overhead is good thing)
    that uses less electricity.
    So I got the Optiplex 745 (2.4ghz E4300 OC,250gb Barracuda Sata,1gb HD4650,2gb ram) which I use for MSOffice,encoding/ripping video,audio recording,browsing and light gaming (bioshock 2,oblivion,crysis warhead)
    It does everything fine and cost me $135 US dollars.
    It is quiet,low powered and runs cool.
    Of course a 980x system would be nice and so would a Lamborghine Countach LOL
  19. Quote:
    yeah lol i notice on the optiplex it just picks up the hdd temp. theres no voltages nor temps reading in dells bios. Thats so stupid from them


    How many Dell users EVER go into their BIOS?
    Its a Dell Dude!
  20. Best answer selected by geno2k3.
  21. Thank you for selecting me as best answer
    Glad to help.
    I usually look for Dell owners in trouble
    I got a soft spot for Dells LOL
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Dell Inspiron Windows 7 BIOS