Sign in with
Your question

Water damaged EVGA Nvidia GTX 260

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 14, 2010 1:08:03 AM

I have recently spilled a little bit of water on one of my GTX 260 cards. I thought I got all of the water dried, but when I turned it on it sparked and smelled like burnt electronics. I was wondering if it might be possible to repair this maybe with solder just to bridge the connection. Any help would be appreciated.

" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />
a b Î Nvidia
September 14, 2010 5:29:06 AM

I guess not, you already burnt your card, get a new card...
September 14, 2010 3:09:05 PM

It is possible, an in focus close up picture of the damaged area would help, try using a scanner to image the board.
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
September 14, 2010 6:31:26 PM

My bet is you're going to need to replace it.
a b Î Nvidia
September 14, 2010 6:38:33 PM

I spilt water on my HD5850, just a few drops. what you need to do is dab the water with some tissue then leave the card to dry for atleast 48 hours.

Dabing off the water then trying the card straight away won't work as there will still be some moisture left on the card.

TBH I don't think your gonna get that card to work again...

P.S Nice mouse mat, I have the same : )
a b Î Nvidia
September 14, 2010 6:49:32 PM

EVGA......... lifetime warranty if you registered your card after you bought it.
a b Î Nvidia
September 14, 2010 11:27:57 PM

swifty_morgan said:
EVGA......... lifetime warranty if you registered your card after you bought it.

Do they cover food/drink accidents?
a b Î Nvidia
September 14, 2010 11:55:34 PM

Why in thee hell would anybody say I slobbered on my card. You contact them and say the card is not working and that's it. Get your RMA number and hold your breath.
a b Î Nvidia
September 15, 2010 12:17:14 AM

This is why you are supposed to blast any at wet parts. This is also why I won't use any thing but distilled water as it does not contain conductive substances unlike most cooling solutions which can be corrosive in some formulas. I have seen blocks that simply have been eaten through by the solutions that are sold online and with the kits. I have spilled water on parts before and once ware a board took a big spill of 1L of tap water but still ran long enough for a proper shutdown. What you should have done if it were a solution was to wash the card in water then use a can of high pressure air to blast away any water under any of the components. When you think that it is dry think again there is a lot of water hiding under just about every thing there. Why do this is simple most solutions contain mildly conductive substances to improve heat absorption and dissipation. Getting rid of it is key to salvaging any part from a spill even from beverages. Tackle it fast before it dries and is allowed to set or you will have cases like this ware permanent failure is a result or corrosion east away at the board and bonds.
a b Î Nvidia
September 15, 2010 12:38:14 AM

swifty_morgan said:
Why in thee hell would anybody say I slobbered on my card. You contact them and say the card is not working and that's it. Get your RMA number and hold your breath.

IMO, this is just a way of wasting postage to dispose of a broken card. At least you could get $10 for the cooler on ebay.
!